An ATWOOD reel with needs.

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
john elder
Star Board Poster

An ATWOOD reel with needs.

Post by john elder »

Buddy Jim Higgins recently obtained this Atwood fly reel that at least around this board, is a relative rarity. The reel was rode hard and put away wet for a number of years, so needed a lot of help. Clicker not working and lacking a knob, splits in the HR on the faceplate, and the rim on the back plate mounted backwords...oh my!

The reel has a unique clicker mechanism, but was mis-adjusted so the pawl would freeze up without contacting the clicker gear

The drag works by tightening the nut on the back plate to pull the drag washers against the spool on the face plate side:

So, i made a replacement nut and did a bit of house cleaning and lubrication and I think it's now ready for some serious Shelf fishing if not the real thing.

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

Re: An ATWOOD reel with needs.

Post by Tightlines666 »

Well done!

That is quiet the transformation there.

Interesting drag mechanism.

John
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Looks great! That's an unusual reel for sure.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Nice! There goes John again doin his magic! 1 day John I'll have the time to clean reels again! Until then I'll enjoy his work! Years ago l parted with a boxed saltwater version of that reel. Since then I've never seen another. So many pieces l wish I still had. Oh well maybe in the future. Tight Lines Nick in NY
Wanted Ultra rare salt water reels including big game as well as unknown rare surf reels!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Thanks, Guys! This one certainly came out better than I had hoped. Some novel design elements in the reel that kept thinks interesting. Lots of things in addition to the unique clicker design, including a split in the foot to make a tighter fit with the rod and a threaded adjuster to move the foot to balance the reel on the rod. Neat bit of reel history that's back in the game!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Especially nice job with the cracks.

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/