Orvis reel handle “donut”nut

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Orvis reel handle “donut”nut

Post by Mike N »

I am looking for the nut for the handle of an Orvis third model. As appears below, it has an opening which I assume was to facilitate oiling. If anyone knows a good website for antique brass nuts and bolts hardware, it would be appreciated.

PS This is photo of an Orvis handle from Ron G.’s website, where every reel google or other search engine ultimately sends you.

Last edited by Mike N on Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Re: Orvis reel handle “donut”nut

Post by Jim Schottenham »

Mike,
I don't see anything missing. That handle should just screw off, counter clockwise.
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Jim,
I think Mike just posted an example of what he is looking for, not the reel that needs one.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Thanks, Jim and Tommy.

Tommy is correct that I posted a photo above as what I am looking for. I assume Jim is saying the “nut” is actually attached as part of the handle.

Below are my two Orvis reels. I believe the one (third model) on the left has an incorrect handle or nut, or both. I think the first model below right is correct? Thoughts?
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Your reel looks complete as Jim says. Here's a photo of another one. Wait a minute, that is a photo of my reel. :D

Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

RonG wrote:Your reel looks complete as Jim says. Here's a photo of another one. Wait a minute, that is a photo of my reel. :D

When you write the authoritative reel encyclopedia, you have to expect to be quoted.

What are your thoughts on the reel on the left, Ron?
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Take the nut off and let's see what it looks like.
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Mike,
No doubt in my mind that the nut on the left reel is not original. The handle itself looks OK, but I agree with Ron - we need to see the spindle under that nut.
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

RonG wrote:Take the nut off and let's see what it looks like.
Here it is:

Last edited by Mike N on Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Jim Schottenham wrote:Mike,
No doubt in my mind that the nut on the left reel is not original. The handle itself looks OK, but I agree with Ron - we need to see the spindle under that nut.
Jim- What do you think of the handle after viewing the photos above of the Orvis THIRD model? Do you agree that it needs a similar donut-style nut? The nut is an old replacement off another reel. That is why I inquired about a “donut” nut.

I cannot find additional Third Model photos.

Here are a few photos from other sources of handles on an Orvis FIRST model:

This 1874 patent First model is from Silvio Calabi’s book, page 80:

This 1874 patent First model is from Jim Brown’s A Treasury of Reels, page 97.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Is it possible the threads in the handle were drilled out? In this case you would need a nut to pull the handle down against the spool shaft. Is there a shoulder on the spool shaft that the handle would bear against? Without a threaded shaft and handle that would bottom out when tightened, typically you have a square feature on the spool shaft and handle for torque application.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Ron- The shaft is threaded and the handle screws right on and off perfectly. The correct nut is missing.

I assume the threaded shaft is hollow for oiling the reel.

If anyone else has a third model, I would appreciate a few photos. After a few decades collecting only Kentucky reels, I’m in a new learning curve with these old fly reels. Thanks.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Sounds like you just screw the handle down tight and that's it. This is typical of a lot of fly and salmon reels, especially Julius vom Hofe reels.
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

RonG wrote:Sounds like you just screw the handle down tight and that's it. This is typical of a lot of fly and salmon reels, especially Julius vom Hofe reels.
That’s an interesting observation and probably correct, Ron, especially when you consider the Orvis first model where the handle had to be frequently removed to store it in the wooden box.

But as you can see from the photos above of the third model, screwing the handle down doesn’t leave the handle flush with the end of the threaded shaft, but instead there is about an 1/8” gap as if for a retaining nut.

Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Hey Mike.

It looks like the half-handle on your other Orvis is much thicker.

Have you tried putting it on the other reel to see if it covers all the threads ?

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

reelsmith. wrote:Hey Mike.

It looks like the half-handle on your other Orvis is much thicker.

Have you tried putting it on the other reel to see if it covers all the threads ?

Dean.
Very good observation, Dean. I will try that when I get home. However, it still does not explain the need for the "donut" type of nut or washer that appears in the very first photos in this thread on Ron G.'s reel. Curious.

Thanks

Mike N.
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

I think I finally see what Mike is talking about. There is a difference between the two. Sorry, I no longer have the reel and can't investigate further.

reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

I think in these two pictures we are looking at the same thing, just one handle covers the threads and the other does not.

Maybe the spool end on Mike's reel is longer ?

Dean.
Wanted: Kosmic Items, Small Leather Fly Reel Cases, Early Fishing Related Bottles, Fly Reels and Pre-1900 Angling/Casting Medals.

http://www.tackletreasures.com/
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

However, it still does not explain the need for the "donut" type of nut or washer that appears in the very first photos in this thread on Ron G.'s reel
Mike,
I don't believe that Ron's reel had a nut at the end of the threaded spindle. None of the Orvis reels I've handled or have seen ever had one, all just having the threaded handle that screws on and off. The purpose of the hollow spindle is explained in the patent - Orvis intended it to aid in drying the line, allowing the water an additional place to escape. Early reels had a "perforated" hub, later models such as yours had a single hole to allow line to pass through, knot and secure line for winding.
If you PM me your address I'll send you a copy of Jim Brown's great article on these reels. I think you'd enjoy it.
Jim
Jim Schottenham
ORCA Honorary member
www.SideMountReels.com
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Jim Schottenham wrote:
However, it still does not explain the need for the "donut" type of nut or washer that appears in the very first photos in this thread on Ron G.'s reel
Mike,
I don't believe that Ron's reel had a nut at the end of the threaded spindle. None of the Orvis reels I've handled or have seen ever had one, all just having the threaded handle that screws on and off. The purpose of the hollow spindle is explained in the patent - Orvis intended it to aid in drying the line, allowing the water an additional place to escape. Early reels had a "perforated" hub, later models such as yours had a single hole to allow line to pass through, knot and secure line for winding.
If you PM me your address I'll send you a copy of Jim Brown's great article on these reels. I think you'd enjoy it.
Jim
Who’d-a-thunk that hole was for air to dry the line? You are still numero uno, Jim, when it comes to vetting a reel.

Thanks

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990