Rod Restoration?

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Rod Restoration?

Post by oldsaltnfla »

I know this is a reel forum, but I thought I would ask as you guys have been helpful in the past on many things. I have an old fiberglass Shakespeare fly rod that is sound and fishable, but shows lots of honest wear from use. I would like to have it cosmetically restored to look close to what it may have looked like when it was new. Can anyone out there do this work?
Joe
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Rod Restoration?

Post by john elder »

You should answer your mail, Joe
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oldsaltnfla »

john elder wrote:You should answer your mail, Joe
As far as answering my mail, I will answer it when I see it. The problem is that I live up in the Smoky Mountains of eastern Tennessee and I don't get computer or internet reception where I live. I have to drive into town to a local coffee shop that has WiFi. Sometimes I don't get to get on the computer for days at a time. Sorry, but that's the way it is for now until I can afford some kind of satellite WiFi.

Regarding the rod restoration, I have decided to do it myself. It may sound odd, but here's why I have been so inspired. While watching an episode of "The American Pickers," I saw the boys buy an old car that looked like a total piece of junk. They had someone restore it but not completely. They wanted some of the original patina and wear to still be visible. I thought that it might be a good idea to restore the rod the same way; not a complete restoration, but close. I lightly sanded the old finish off and replaced it with tung oil. It looks great. I now have to re-wrap the guides and glue and shape cork rings for the grip (which I have done several times while finishing out fiberglass rod blanks). But, thanks for all of the kind offers and advice.
Joe
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by sdlehr »

oldsaltnfla wrote:The problem is that I live up in the Smoky Mountains of eastern Tennessee and I don't get computer or internet reception where I live. I have to drive into town to a local coffee shop that has WiFi. Sometimes I don't get to get on the computer for days at a time. Sorry, but that's the way it is for now until I can afford some kind of satellite WiFi.
Joe, a lot of days I'm jealous that you can live like this....
Sid Lehr
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oldsaltnfla »

sdlehr wrote:
oldsaltnfla wrote:The problem is that I live up in the Smoky Mountains of eastern Tennessee and I don't get computer or internet reception where I live. I have to drive into town to a local coffee shop that has WiFi. Sometimes I don't get to get on the computer for days at a time. Sorry, but that's the way it is for now until I can afford some kind of satellite WiFi.
Joe, a lot of days I'm jealous that you can live like this....

Yeah, I do like it, however it is amazing on how we have become so accustomed to living with technology that we really miss it when it is gone. I am getting used to it, though. Heck, my cell phone doesn't even work where I live.
Joe
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Joe, good luck with your rod. If you need anything, just ask when you can.

John
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Post by oldsaltnfla »

john elder wrote:Joe, good luck with your rod. If you need anything, just ask when you can.

John
Thanks john will do
Joe