I couldn't TAKE IT ANY MORE!

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
john elder
Star Board Poster

I couldn't TAKE IT ANY MORE!

Post by john elder »

So, after watching this poor little Edward Vom Hofe 800 Long Key sit on Ebay for about a year, I finally just had to rescue it. The seller accepted an offer I could live with and it arrived yesterday, needing lots of love but in fine shape under all that "patina":

Luckily, not a mark in the HR and only sin was a bit of filing on one end of the foot...not something I think much about as long as it's not butchered...rods changed...something had to give.

So after the usual cleaning ritual, this bit of VH history is now ready to join it's cohorts for some serious Shelf fishing:

What's really great about this reel is that it's a #2 sized reel, at 2 3/4" diameter and has a novel free spool set-up, shown here. I still love the bigger "door stop" reels, but have to admit to a real soft spot for the little fellers!

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: I couldn't TAKE IT ANY MORE!

Post by Midway Tommy D »

John, you kinda remind me of those animal rescue folks, only a much better guardian. Some just have to have something to save and you're darn good at it. :D Another job well done! :cool
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Thanks, Tommy! It's probably more like a big fat ole bass that finally snaps up the offered crazy crawler after 50 casts past his nose! At any rate, it be done!...and i'm happy about that!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Glad this reel found a happy home. Enjoy!
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Post by spadej1 »

Looks great John! Sometimes I wish I had the money and room to take home all the reels I feel sorry for. Maybe some day.
-James-
New to reel collecting so bear with me please. I like reel deals!
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Came out nice John ! By the looks of a few internal screws you weren't the first one in there. Looks 100% better. John Taylor
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Thanks for pointing that out, JT. I think that's more grease/dirt that I didn't get cleaned out rather than buggered up slots. I cheated and washed out the grunge from the gear box without disassembly and should have given them a better dressing.....but I ain't takin' it apart again to find out! :D
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

Great job John, you did that little fellow proud! I love the "Edward vom Hofe Maker" oiler caps he used on those little beasts. Does the reel have a serial number? Just curious.........
Ed Pritchard
http://www.AntiqueFishingReels.com
ORCA Charter Member "First Paid Member"
Honorary Life Member

"Reels As Big As Your Head" Always looking for BIG game reels and anything else that might go along.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

No serial number, Ed!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member