Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:23 pm 
Star Board Poster
So, after watching this poor little Edward Vom Hofe 800 Long Key sit on Ebay for about a year, I finally just had to rescue it. The seller accepted an offer I could live with and it arrived yesterday, needing lots of love but in fine shape under all that "patina":

Luckily, not a mark in the HR and only sin was a bit of filing on one end of the foot...not something I think much about as long as it's not butchered...rods changed...something had to give.

So after the usual cleaning ritual, this bit of VH history is now ready to join it's cohorts for some serious Shelf fishing:

What's really great about this reel is that it's a #2 sized reel, at 2 3/4" diameter and has a novel free spool set-up, shown here. I still love the bigger "door stop" reels, but have to admit to a real soft spot for the little fellers!

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:46 pm 
Ultra Board Poster
John, you kinda remind me of those animal rescue folks, only a much better guardian. Some just have to have something to save and you're darn good at it. :D Another job well done! :cool

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:28 pm 
Star Board Poster
Thanks, Tommy! It's probably more like a big fat ole bass that finally snaps up the offered crazy crawler after 50 casts past his nose! At any rate, it be done!...and i'm happy about that!

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:52 pm 
Ultra Board Poster
Glad this reel found a happy home. Enjoy!

Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:18 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Advanced Board Poster
Looks great John! Sometimes I wish I had the money and room to take home all the reels I feel sorry for. Maybe some day.

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:46 pm 
Reel Talk Member
Advanced Board Poster
Came out nice John ! By the looks of a few internal screws you weren't the first one in there. Looks 100% better. John Taylor

Posted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:44 pm 
Star Board Poster
Thanks for pointing that out, JT. I think that's more grease/dirt that I didn't get cleaned out rather than buggered up slots. I cheated and washed out the grunge from the gear box without disassembly and should have given them a better dressing.....but I ain't takin' it apart again to find out! :D

Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:06 am 
Super Board Poster
Great job John, you did that little fellow proud! I love the "Edward vom Hofe Maker" oiler caps he used on those little beasts. Does the reel have a serial number? Just curious.........

Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:55 pm 
Star Board Poster
No serial number, Ed!