Classic Montague rescue

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
john elder
Star Board Poster

Classic Montague rescue

Post by john elder »

Mike Nogay captured this little Montague sold by A & F, boldly announced on the face plate. He sent along to see what could be done for it. Lots of the normal "patina" issues on the surface and some evil corrosion in the interior that left the reel without a functioning clicker:

The clicker was totally rusted up (not shown...some idiot forgot to take a pic before cleaning) and the gear was degraded so badly that it fell off. I was able, however, to turn a brass rod and super glue what was left of the gear to it to serve as a template to make a new, wider version click gear, then soldered it into place:

Lots of vinegar/mineral spirits soaks and some elbow grease and the reel turned out pretty nice...back in the game!

ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: Classic Montague rescue

Post by Mike N »

John- I am very grateful for, and in awe of, your skills. I had no idea the reel would need a new gear let alone that you could cut one.

Bravo, Dr. Elder. Now if Abercrombie & Fitch would start carrying XXL skinny jeans, I could really be in style whilst fishing.

Mike N
Mike N.
ORCA Founder, 1990
desertangler
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Classic Montague rescue

Post by desertangler »

Great job as usual John! Mike, let me know if you find those jeans so I can get a pair too :D

George
:fished Reely Easy Going ORCA Member