Meisselbach Fly Reel

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Meisselbach Fly Reel

Post by oldsaltnfla »

I recently received an old Meisselbach Model 19 fly reel. I wanted to clean and lubricate it, but the spool will not come off. The end of the screw seems to be peened in and turning the screw screw from the opposite side with a screw driver does nothing. It just spins. I put a few drops of oil here and there where I could find openings and the next day, lots of dirt and grime had come out with the oil. Is this ok? Is this normal for the reel? It seems to work great. Maybe the reel was designed so that the spool could not be taken off?
Joe
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Meisselbach Fly Reel

Post by oldsaltnfla »

I finally figured it put. Found an exploded view of it on a website. The spool holding screw does not go completely through. The screw (or stud, or whatever) was peened for a different purpose. I just had to use a lot of pressure on the screw with a tight fitting screw driver and it came loose and was able to remove the screw. I guess a screw that has not been removed for 60 or more years would be tough to remove.
joe
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Meisselbach Fly Reel

Post by john elder »

Ah, glad you wrestled that one to the ground, Joe. Most all of those early Meisselbachs are beat up pretty bad by this time in life. They were clearly great tools that saw a lot of use!

john
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures