Pyralin Nobs

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
beepr1
Big ORCA Fan

Pyralin Nobs

Post by beepr1 »

Hi to all, has anybody cleaned pyralin nobs from a Pflueger Redifor? I have a double nob handle with the nobs having accumulated decades of oil, grease, dirt and who knows what else, the reel cleaned up nice but the handle detracts from its appearance. tried a sonic bath but no luck.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Pyralin Nobs

Post by Paul M »

Did you try dishwashing detergent/warm water and a toothbrush?
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Low Profile
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Low Profile »

Try a miracle eraser sponge. Wet it and light rub - Absolutely amazing how they work and don't have the scratch-like abrasive that other products have. Follow up with a jewelers cloth rub down and the knobs will look new provided internal spider cracking hasn't started.

Low Profile
beepr1
Big ORCA Fan

Post by beepr1 »

Thanks for the ideas guys I tried the dish washing liquid with toothbrush and the miracle eraser sponge both removed a bit, but in looking at the nobs with a jewelers loop the surface at the ends looks like dark alligator skin, not sure if that's from oxidation or what, but it's very hard. Any other ideas, I'm listening.
Low Profile
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Low Profile »

beepr1,

Is this the knob style on your reel? if yes and you can't get it to look like this after cleaning then it is likely that the pyralin has internally cracked (knob still perfectly intact) and there is no way I know of to rid it of that.

Tx,

Low Profile

beepr1
Big ORCA Fan

Post by beepr1 »

Low Profile that's exactly the style of my nobs except they're a double. One spins freely and the other one drags a bit. Looking thru the jewelers loop I can see a tiny crack about 1/16 in each one. It may be time to find a replacement handle for the reel. Thanks for your help.