Repairing / readjusting drag on a KY reel?

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

Repairing / readjusting drag on a KY reel?

Post by David Lehmann »

How does one readjust a drag spring for a Meek Bluegrass and how difficult a process is this? Upon reassembling the reel after cleaning, I am having difficulty getting the drag to function correctly. When reassembled with the drag "on," the drag is extremely strong. But when I slide the drag to off, the drag block (opposite side of the slide button) completely disengages from the spring. After this happens, the drag won't reengage. I suspect the block is sliding under, instead of over, the spring. Has anyone run into this before? How is this corrected? Both the spring and bock seem to be in good shape.

Thanks,
David
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Repairing / readjusting drag on a KY reel?

Post by john elder »

Dave, The “off” position would have the block slide under the spring, thus pulling the drag away from the spool. Drag on has the block retracted. If it won’t slide back under, just gently bend the spring up, which will create a bit more space for the block to get under the spring and will also lessen thedrag a bit.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Repairing / readjusting drag on a KY reel?

Post by David Lehmann »

Thanks John! That helps. I think the problem then is that drag is bent too far up. It doesn't give any drag when not pushed down. I guess there is a pretty narrow window for this to work properly.