Zebco 44 Spincast

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Zebco 44 Spincast

Post by oldsaltnfla »

Can anyone tell me how to clean and lube a Zebco 44? This is the under hanging model with the finger lever. It looks like it could be cleaned and lubed without taking the whole reel apart but I'm not sure. Does anyone know where I can get a schematic on it?
Joe
tholmes
Big ORCA Fan

Re: Zebco 44 Spincast

Post by tholmes »

https://www.reelschematic.com/wp-conten ... 74-75).pdf

This might help. The 44 is basically the same as a 33, just adapted to be an underspin. They're pretty simple to work on.

Tom
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Zebco 44 Spincast

Post by oldsaltnfla »

Thanks Tom. The main problem was that when turning the handle, the reel would not reel in smoothly. It had a kind of a herky jerky type feel. I thought it may have just been dirty so I cleaned it out and greased and oiled it. The problem still remained. I noticed that on the inside of the spool cover there were rub marks as if something was rubbing on it. I thought there might just be a high spot on the spool. So, I took my moto tool with a fine sanding disc and sanded a few time around the edge of the spool. The problem was solved. It now spins and purrs like the proverbial kitten. It does make me wonder why there was a high spot on the spool in the first place. I could not see any kind of foul play or damage to the spool or the cover. I'm wondering if it left the factory this way. It is a mystery to me, but I'm just glad it works fine now.
Joe