You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

EVH 621 4/0 cleanup for a friend

Post by Paul M »

EVH 621 4/0 cleanup for a friend

BEFORE

AFTER

The screw heads on the pre-cleaned reel we’re near perfect and the hardest part of the job was removing the screws without creating damage. I chose to NOT soak the whole thing in vinegar solution (which would have made screw removal a snap). I did it this way because the rubber was a nice solid black and I didn’t want to bring out the pale brown from UV damage. It saved me a day of exfoliating the rubber. It is a nice reel on its way back home.

It is interesting that the gear transmission kicked in towards the end of this video. I guess you need a line and a tuna on the end to make the reel perform all its great functions :D

https://youtu.be/1DgbMR3_fXQ
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Re: EVH 621 4/0 cleanup for a friend

Post by Paul M »

Here is a video showing one of the methods I used to clean up some of the solid nickel-silver surfaces on this reel. Use with caution!

https://youtu.be/rMeJ1QW3_us
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Very nice, Paul!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

I have another video that I plan to post but as usual with spontaneous video clips like these, what “free advice” you verbalize on the soundtrack doesn’t always precisely match the demonstration and hand techniques shown. I have learned certain Reel Talk enthusiasts actually pay attention to those details and may call you out. So before posting the next one I will try to redo the soundtrack to match what my hands are actually doing, like it or not, LOL.
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Verdisgris on the spool comes off quite easily after soaking in 50/50 vinegar and water. That soaking may not actually remove the gunk but it becomes loose enough to scrub off. I am simply using my finger nail to demonstrate how loose it becomes.... I don't clean reels with my fingernails :D

Doing this soak has risks of damaging plating (nickel) on base metal (brass) so be aware of the materials you are cleaning. It is all discussed in the ORCA Restoration Guide and elsewhere in this section of Reel Talk but I thought a video clip might give some newcomers the confidence to try it themselves.

https://youtu.be/Fy4-HJnA1dk
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006