Hard To Remove Sideplate Screw

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
oldsaltnfla
Advanced Board Poster

Hard To Remove Sideplate Screw

Post by oldsaltnfla »

Thought I would pass this on as it worked great for me. Three screws were holding the side plate on the reel I was working on last night. It seems there is always one that is stubborn. The screw slot was buggered up and so shallow I could not get a screwdriver to grip it enough to turn it. So, I tool out my trusty Dremel Moto Tool and with a fine pointed abrasive bit I was able to cut a new much deeper slot in the screw head. I put the screwdriver to it and it came right out. This may be a normal procedure for some, but it was the first time I have done it. Sometimes with trial and error, things work in your favor.
Joe
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Hard To Remove Sideplate Screw

Post by john elder »

Good call, Joe...and I imagine you got the benefit of an old reelmonger's trick that Milt Lorens used to recommend, which was to use an engraving tool with a soft tip to send a vibration through the stuck screw.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures