How to replace an Orvis 100 bail spring

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Popcorn Man
Big ORCA Fan

How to replace an Orvis 100 bail spring

Post by Popcorn Man »

Hi,

This is my first post. I tried the search feature, but was unable to find the information that I seek.

I have an Orvis 100 that belonged to my grandfather. The bail wire is broken. I also have a Tasco Model 58 that belonged to my grandfather. The Tasco Model 58 is not in good working order. These two reels seem to be nearly identical, particularly in reference to the bail wire.

I was thinking about using the bail wire from the Tasco Model 58 as a replacement for the broken bail wire on the Orvis 100. I have removed the bail wire and bail spring from the Tasco Model 58 and wanted to practice reinstalling the bail wire and bail spring before I remove the bail wire and bail spring from the Orvis 100.

I am having problems reinstalling the bail spring. I cannot seem to get each end of the spring in their respective hole on the bail wire and notch on the reel itself. There is also the issue of getting the bail screw to tighten properly. Could someone provide instructions, photos, or a video on how to reinstall the bail spring and bail wire on an Orvis 100?

Thanks for any assistance that anyone may have.

P.S. I did not search for Tasco Model 58 information. Does anyone happen to know some history of this reel?
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Re: How to replace an Orvis 100 bail spring

Post by Paul M »

For future reference, the ORVIS 100 schematics were just added to the ORCA Online Library but it does not explain how to install the spring. Membership is required to download the file.
https://www.orcaonline.org/product-cate ... chematics/
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Correction - it does explain in words how to replace the cam spring. Put the cam spring in the socket making sure that the horizontal tip on the spring is inserted in the small hole in the side of the socket (not the vertical slot). Place the Cam Pivot Spring on the Sam Pivot and reseat them in the plunger hole being sure the guide pin on the plunger rides in the vertical slot........
Paul Manuel

Member since 2006
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

It would only be a coincidence if the Tasco bail interchanges with the Orvis 100 because Tasco was made in Japan and the Orvis was made in Italy. Bails must fit perfectly to operate properly. You will have to completely remove the bail from the bail arm/plate at the roller to reinstall the bail spring. You have to partially insert the screw and rotate the bail plate to line it up prior to tightening the screw all the way down. They are tricky to reinstall without ruining the bail spring so take your time. Here is a tutorial example for a Shakespeare I provided a few years ago. The process will basically be the same except the Orvis has a plunger & spring bail trip that has to be depressed when installing the bail spring, plate & screw.
Love those Open Face Spinning Reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco)

Tom DeLong, NE
ORCA Member - 2027