Replating old parts?

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Jason
Super Board Poster

replating reels

Post by Jason »

I had never thought about or heard of anybody replating a reel until I came across this website.

I saw a really nice meisselbach 290. Then a chrome Sal-trout and I knew something was up.

http://www.rubylane.com/shops/drury/ili ... =1.10.html
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

wow, how about that reel painted red right over the handle...
Tom O.
Frequent Board Poster

Re-Plating Penn Parts

Post by Tom O. »

I don't see any problem with re-plating a reel, as long as it was originally plated.
But then, I am not into the expensive really classic reels that you guys collect. I do a lot of restoration of Penn reels, and I am currently experimenting with re-plating some parts right now. I will buy an old Penn that is usually covered with corrosion, and I will replace the corroded parts - most of these parts are still available new. I toss the old corroded parts into a box. This box now has parts from about 100 reels.
Since these parts are getting expensive I thought I would try re-plating these old corroded parts that would otherwise be sold for scrap.
It is much too expensive to take these to a plating shop (Penn parts are just not that valuable). So I purchased a plating kit and I am trying to do it myself.
First of all, I have discovered why plating shops charge so much, it is a lot of work! I have put in hundreds of hours of my time so far and I haven't even plated anything yet. I have now removed all the previous plates and buffed the parts to a high shine - lots of hard messy work. If I considered my time, even at minimum wages, it would be cheaper to just buy new parts.
But when finished, I believe they will have a better plating job than new parts do. I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but the last couple of batches of Penn parts I purchased were poorly plated compared to parts of a few years ago.
So, in my case, I am not messing up a classic reel, I am simply re-plating parts that I would otherwise purchase new.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

there is no problem doing anything - it's your reel - but, as long as you disclose it when and if you sell it.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

..and Tom, when you finally do plate something, just make sure your environment is a safe one...heavy metals just don't want to leave the body and can cause real health problems. That's the main reason I decided to put my 100 hrs somewhere else...equally wasteful, but not quite so lethal!

Brian F. put up a few ebay auctions where some fellow was powder coating old Penns instead of replating..in various colors not found in Nature. ...they were pretty neat, could never be accused of being original, and were likely quite serviceable. I keep threatening to try this...even picked up an old toaster oven to use for baking parts (idea came from some site I googled up)..just have never carried thru to get the kit and set it up. now that you have all those parts all prepped, you might have a look at that process...still don't want to snort it, but not quite as bad as plating, I don't think!
Jason
Super Board Poster

Post by Jason »

Before I went to lever drag reels I fixed up numerous old senators. I've thrown away a bunch of corroded parts. Which makes me wonder if home plating kids would be able to withstand saltwater use.

If a person had a small sandblasting kit i suppose you could clean them up well.

But collecting is another story. Even if you disclosed the reels history I think it would eventually move on to unsuspecting hands.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

http://reeltalk.orcaonline.org ... php?t=1157
we had the same discussion going here 3 years ago.

the discussions about vintage firearms applies to tackle, as well.

We don't just collect this stuff - much of it we bought it first to use.

there are enough differences between original and rebuilt tackle that a sharp eye can tell them apart.