Boxes with split corners

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Jeff Johnson
Advanced Board Poster

Boxes with split corners

Post by Jeff Johnson »

I know Ive read it somewhere but I cant find it now. What kind of tape is acceptable to use when fixing a box with split corners or blown out sides?
Where can I get some?
Thanks is advance, Jeff
Jerry J in OK
Super Board Poster

Post by Jerry J in OK »

Jeff...I don't use tape...I do like they do for lure boxes...I put a rubber band around the box to hold it and square it up...I then use Craft Bond glue to glue the seams on the inside, using a toothpick or something small to apply it...The craft bond dries quite rapidly and clear...

This is the way I do it, hope it helps...

Jerry
Jeff Johnson
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jeff Johnson »

Thanks! I will give it a try. Jeff
el Lawrence
Advanced Board Poster

Post by el Lawrence »

I like the glue repair (try to use a water based glue, that way whatever you do can be reversed if need be)

IF you must use tape you would want to use (say as a temp repair or something) Acid free (try a good photo store) and use only the smallest amount you can get by with. Tape from the inside not the colored or printed outside. If you have a choice use removable tape not perminent. Make sure what ever you do can be removed without damage to the box.

For glue use modest amounts... I have also had good results on a box or two using Elmers wood filler as a spackle of sorts where mice had chewed a corner to fill in after the box is glued. BTW you might want to tuck in a small note in such a box that it has been restored and what those restorations are.

FYI you may not want to use a box as a riser for a reel without putting a support inside the box...
Jerry J in OK
Super Board Poster

Post by Jerry J in OK »

El...the Craft Bond I mentioned above is a water base glue, kind of like Elmer's and is also white. It dries clear and is very easy to work with...

Jerry
el Lawrence
Advanced Board Poster

Post by el Lawrence »

Good job Jerry... that way if something better is worked out years from now we can go back and fix our fixes...

The wood fill stuff is sort of a buff color which matches much of the pulpwood used in pasteboard boxes... if you experiment around with ground cardboard and paper making pulp (craft stores) you can make a mix that will match your color fairly close if you need the more "heavy duty" fix of spackling a corner with a wood fill type product. I use a pallet knife and only apply a modest amount to "clean up" a badly gnawed corner or section of a box. Really depends on what is missing or how much damage is there to deal with.

Filling empty boxes with crumpled acid free tissue is a good idea too... keeps them puffed out and solid...maybe with the rubber bands that would be a good way to keep more damage from happening. I wouldn't leave rubber bands in place too long... seen them get bad pretty fast too.
Jerry J in OK
Super Board Poster

Post by Jerry J in OK »

The rubber bands are just for inside corner repair. As soon as the glue is dry the rubber bands come of (about 30 minutes) and then you can make any additional repairs needed...

Jerry