Precisionbilt Mosquito ?

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Precisionbilt Mosquito ?

Post by Ron Mc »

Anybody know how to remove the spindle and spool from this reel?
That's where all the gunk is.

Have a schematic for this?

Pretty neat reel, though - has a roller-bearing clutch.
Dr. Rob
Super Board Poster

Post by Dr. Rob »

Forgive my ignorance... How old is that and who made it?

JW.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Not the first use of a roller bearing clutch.
JVH B Ocean Reel

can just about always find a Mosquito or Silver Moth on ebay: broken ... 7226395202 (he's got the handle turned upside down, and the phenolic drag links are broken at the actuator) Seller quotes an imposter Geezer that these reels were made by Ocean City. Is that right, Phil?
This is interesting: broken ... 7225594225 made by Precisionbilt, Hollydale, CA

The reel is perfect-style, with exposed spool backplate and winding plate. The reel is almost a novelty. The frame and spool are cheap die-castings, and the winding plate is clear plastic to show the mechanism. It works, except I can't get to the spindle to make it work again...back to my original question?
Last edited by Ron Mc on Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

The seller of the Mosquito refers to Karl White, not our esteemed Geezer. It's right there on page 201, just one of many of KW's interesting attributions.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Interesting

Post by Teal »

Steve,

A nice use of the word "interesting" in a very Minnesota way.

Cheers,

Dr. Todd
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Ok, sorry for the mis-reference.

So it Was made in CA.

Back to my original question...? :P
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

Might want to move this over to the cleaning thread - I never could figure how to remove the spindle, but I came up with a working solution.

Under the center screw on this reel is a large oil revervoir. This feeds both the spindle bushing (bearing?) and the clutch roller bearing through weep holes.

I filled the reservoir with denatured alcohol several times, and let the reel drain back through.

After letting it dry for a few days, I refilled the reservoir with oil. It works great now.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

(moved by the moderators to Cleaning and Restoration)
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

After my relube of this reel, the roller bearing started to slip. The contact patch on the inside of the ring gear was thin and polished bright. So I took some 220-grit sandpaper to the inside of the ring gear and burnished it - solved that problem.

Any of you that have seen these reels, the "clear" plastic cover is usually fogged with small scratches. I fixed that, too. I used Butcher's Bowling Alley Wax on the inside and outside. Came out beautifully transparent.

Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

might as well show the back:
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

Looks good, Ron. But "Anybody know how to remove the spindle and spool from this reel?" Do those two adjustable arms clamp against the spool shaft, beneath the sprocket/click/check? Do they slide that cylindrical-looking thing? And does "roller bearing" refer to the cylindrical-looking thing wedged between the inside of the sprocket/click/check and the flat on the flange? Guess I'm asking whether the click/check acts as the drag, too, or are they two different mechanisms?

Wouldn't be surprised if that gear is wedged onto the flange or whatever it is, and that you'd have to use a gear puller to remove it.

I used to have a Silver Moth, but it was clean when I got it, so the problem of disassembly never arose. By the way, it came in a cute, D-shaped, two-piece acrylic box.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

yes, the two "arms" are added friction drag on the spindle - in this case, it's on a land on the ring gear below the ratchet teeth. So both mechanisms are released by the roller bearing clutch when it releases the ring gear - a really neat mechanism.

It's that center boss that the roller rolls on and the ring gear spins around that holds the spool into the frame. There's no obvious way to pull it.
But my wash worked out well.

The center hole is also an oil reservoir. There's a weep hole near the top that provides oil to the roller bearing and ring gear. There's also holes farther down that drain to the bushing/spool bearing, which is what allowed me to degunk it with a denatured alcohol wash.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

my friend has this reel listed on ebay now:
broken ... 7231799625