a tale of success

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

a tale of success

Post by Ron Mc »

I posted before in parts, looking for someone that had a spare spool for a JVH No. 2 single action fly reel.
This reel had a tooth busted out of the drag gear.

No luck.

After a bit of head scratching, came up with the idea to try arc-brazing a buildup on the tooth. Turned out the problem was I couldn't trust that any of the machines I could find would have a low-enough amperage to do this safely. I ended up taking it to a jeweler that is noted for custom work (and I've used before), assuming he would use a micro-torch. Turns out they had a laser for this. So I had it laser brazed using a good silver braze metal. The beauty of this repair method is that the heat is highly localized, preventing thermal damage to the rest of the piece.

Last edited by Ron Mc on Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Nice trick, Ron! have to find a friend like that! Although not the high-end rescue you have there, there are several instances where it would be great to have that capability fix things, even if it was just to rescue a screw!
Last edited by john elder on Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

oh I was invoiced $50 for the repair (and I provided the braze wire), but the guy I was fixing the reel for was delighted to pay it to have the reel fishable.