One Tough Mitchell Reel

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

One Tough Mitchell Reel

Post by Teal »

One of the dumbest things I've ever seen in my entire life. I was hoping the reel would pop out and injure one of them...but it is one tough Mitchell reel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU1tVZA2B0Q

--Dr. Todd
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

One tough reel

Post by Paul M »

I bet they smashed the reel to get the final scene because they couldn't pull it apart.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I had one of those Mitchell's a year ago that was so caked up with salt it looked like a rock. I soaked it, and cleaned it up and sold it. It wa still a good reel to fish with. They are a funny breed because of the plastic they use in the side plates. In a short time the side plates start to relieve themselves with small stress cracks and the oil in the reel begins to stain the side plates. Once that happens the reel gets a bit ugly but it will then last for many years of hard use.

In my opinion, the guy that made this video should have kept the broken reel and pushed that piece of junk van he was using off a cliff. :roll:
spinyeel
Frequent Board Poster

Post by spinyeel »

That sort of treatment should be reserved for el cheapo Asian reels.It's almost criminal to do that to a proper reel.Imagine the raised eyebrows if it had been a Vom Hofe. :shock: :shock:
Araye50
Super Board Poster

Post by Araye50 »

Collected the entire set of Mitchell 600 series reels & concluded they were an interesting alternative to the Penn models they competed against. Outside of the notorious cracking sideplates at bearing inserts, that was a cosmetic disaster, but rarely detracted from performance, these distinctive reels were equal to the Penns.
m3040c wrote:They are a funny breed because of the plastic they use in the side plates.
Mitchell made a big deal about the unique white sideplates being made out of DuPont Delrin. While most of the reels I've seen have cracks about the bearings I've never seen a broken sideplate. In contrast I've seen many broken Penn sideplates & am aware of the problem of Penn sideplates swelling & splitting trim rings.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Hello Araye50,

Thanks for the plastics name. I just could not think of it. Dupont had many cutesy Trade names for its plastics but they did make some very interesting stuff. I was bidding on a Penn 9/0 Demonstrator model last week on EBay that had clear plastic side plates that I would bet were made of Dupont Lexan. I did not win it. When the bidding went over $500 I got off. Lexan is strong and flexible but is subject to surface scratches and stains, sort of like the material the Mitchell 600's are made from.

As for the Mitchell 600 Series. I have owned and sold many. I kept the only one I have ever seen that does not have the stress cracks at the bearings and that one is new in the box, stored indoors. You brought out a great point, although they all crack, I too have never seen a broken plate.
They were great old reels and the chrome plating has got to be the best. Nothing shines like a Mitchell 600 reel, even after years of use.
Araye50
Super Board Poster

Post by Araye50 »

Heresy! 'Lexan' is GE's registered trademark for a clear plastic material generically known as polycarbonate.
m3040c wrote: I was bidding on a Penn 9/0 Demonstrator model last week on EBay that had clear plastic side plates that I would bet were made of Dupont Lexan.
GE 'Lexan' was regularly used for high performance aircraft canopies, bulletproof glass, eye glasses & revolutionized aquariums. Its prized for its optical properties, as well as it's great strength.

To my knowledge there was no clear transparent Delrin. The material is very strong, durable & dimensionally stable when compared to Penn sideplates. I'm still mystified why Mitchell 600 headplates so often cracked. My theory is that the brass bearing threaded inserts were press fit excessively tight. However it might be a long term reaction to the grease, virtually every time its only the headplate that cracks. Its rare to find a backplate cracked. Of course the white color shows staining, accentuating any cracks.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

OK, guess I got the wrong company for Lexan but with all its wonderful properties has anyone ever made a fishing reel side plate from Lexan? Maybe if that Mitchell was made from Lexan the truck would have lost the pull.
Araye50
Super Board Poster

Post by Araye50 »

No idea. Never seen one & seriously doubt that any production reels ever had Lexan sideplates. Would have to suspect that somebody somewhere might have given it a try.
m3040c wrote: has anyone ever made a fishing reel side plate from Lexan?
Keep in mind that Lexan's primary uses have exploited the material's optical clarity & that its a relatively new material discovered in the 50's, but not in wide use until much later.