Screw conundrum

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Screw conundrum

Post by Paul M »

I broke off a screw in the end of a hollow pillar rod, leaving the threaded part of the screw inside. It broke off just inside the tube so there is nothing I can grab with pliers to get it out. The is no opening at the other end of the pillar rod. The screw was pretty thin eg 1/16" and it enters through a faceplate of a Shakespeare Unviersal that it otherewise in good shape. Can anybody suggest a method to get the screw out?

Paul M
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

sorry about the stuttering
Last edited by john elder on Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Paul, if I understand right, the screw is loose inside the rod and rattling around? If that's the case, your best bet is to try and immobilize it using either some epoxy put into the rod butt with a syringe, thru the hole for the screw...role the screw around til it gets caught up in the glue and let it set up...at least it won't rattle and you can just replace the screw and go on with life.

If the broken screw is still in the hole and not iron-tight, you might be able to epoxy a "handle" onto the end and ease it out (or in) after the epoxy sets. if it's in there tight, you'll just have to drill it out, I believe.

if none of this helps, maybe a pic wouldbe in order. I'd just say ship it down, but from my experiences with the border and shipping, I don't think that's advisable :shock:
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

John:

Thanks for tying to help. I think my explanation was not clear so I will try again.

The screw in question holds the faceplate onto the side of a NLW reel. The screw screws into a hollow crossbar of the reel. It is tightly screwed into the crossbar's internal thread and broken off inside that crossbar. Due to the overtorque mistake that I made, the screw thread is in there all the way and very tight. I doubt I could glue something to it to unscrew it back out.

I think I would have to drill out the screw and re-thread the reel's crossbar and find a new screw, along with a match for another screw on the faceplate. I have never tapped a screw thread before before and don't have the tools , so was looking for alternatives.

I cannot replace the crossbar assembly as it is permanently connected to the side plate on the other end. Maybe I will take a picture tonight and post it, to clarify this situation completely.
Ron Mc
Star Board Poster

Post by Ron Mc »

the screw is easy enough to replace.
sounds like the approach is to cut the remnant into pieces using a mini-size drill bit - then brush out the thread remnants - would also require a good vise and drill press - and good glasses.

Might also check with Micro-Mark to see if they have an "easy-out" tool for screws this small.

http://micromark.com/

or

http://orcaonline.org/images/pixel.gif?BenchTool.htm
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Thanks for the tip, Ron. I have a Dremel tool. I think I have a drill press clamp assembly for it, that I have never used. I will need to rummage tonight. Otherwise I am toolroom handicapped. We have a well equipped tool room here at the factory I work for, but nothing tiny for a job like this.
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Paul - If you want to mail the pillar to me, I will drill the old screw out on a lathe with the correct tap drill and clean the threads out with the right tap. Oh yes, I have 40 yrs of machine shop experience and sometimes help guys out with a sticky problem. I'm in the Reel News as librarien.
Don
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

ah, the 'hollow rod" reference threw me off...have rods on the brain these days...

Don is your man! he can likely turn that screw out without even damaging the old threads using a precision lathe. As he knows, they sell "easy-outs" as well that are threaded backwards so after making a hole and inserting the right size Easy-out, you can back the broken screw out counterclockwise. Wouldn't want to try this on such a small screw without that lathe to drill out the hole, but no problem for Don.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

Don Champion wrote:Paul - If you want to mail the pillar to me, I will drill the old screw out on a lathe with the correct tap drill and clean the threads out with the right tap.

THANKS Don :) , I will probably take you up on your kind offer. Let me see if I have a local option, first.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

The hollow pillar seemed permanently connected to the side plate so I figured a lathe would not work. So, I decided to tackle the problem myself. I tried to tap out the screw based on a friendly tip that came by PM. However, that didn't work and I inadvertantly bent the pillar in the process. I then got a screw removal tool but it was too wide and the screw was a very soft brass so it was only effective in wearing down the screw inside the thread. I managed to scratch the hollow pillar in that process, adding insult to injury. Everybody has to learn and this was my lesson. Now I am hoping to figure out how to remove the hollow pillar and replace it from another Shakespeare reel. Even missing a screw, the reel spins well, so it is worth persuing. Thanks again for all the offers to help. You folks are great! :)

PM
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Paul - On most older Shakespeare reels the pillar is threaded into the back plate. If you put the old pillar in a small drill chuck you should be able to unscrew it (counter clockwise) by hand. NO POWER! Then you can screw a replacement in.
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Thanks again

Post by Paul M »

Thanks Don! The pillar rotates freely. It is somehow connected to a rivet or at least a screw with a rivet-like head, that runs through the rear sideplate. The rivet head is on the outside surface of the sideplate and it rotates freely when I rotate the pillar. I did not find a safe way to hold the rivet head in place while rotating the pillar, because the rivet head is smooth, shallow at the edges and is important from a cosmetic viewpoint. I am taking it slow :sleep: for the next week so I hope to have time to figure it out.