Bail - handle contact on Mitchell 302

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
salmonberries
Big ORCA Fan

Post by salmonberries »

The bail on my 302 makes contact with the handle every 5th and 6th revolution. I tried bending the bail but to no avail. I'm reluctant to get too agressive as I'll no doubt ruin something. Should I pursue getting a replacement bail? I bought the reel this condition so I don't know how it got this way.
Bronco
Frequent Board Poster

Garcia Mitchell 302 -- Bail Problem

Post by Bronco »

Hi Salmonberries,

You can bend the bail wire -- it might work. Be careful, since these are not very heavy duty bails -- and might snap.

A few other things to check first:

Is there a rubber bumper still attached to the bail wire mount? If missing or broken down from age -- this will cause the bail to ride a little lower during rotation -- allowing the handle to contact the bail.

Is the bail attached tightly to the bail mount? If slightly loose, it will also allow the bail to touch the handle.

Is the handle slightly bent toward the reel body?

Is it the right handle?

Is the crank handle spacer washer missing where it screws into the drive gear? You could just install a slightly thicker washer here, or replace a possible missing washer. This would give you enough clearance without affecting operation or appearance.

If all of these things are in place, then a careful bending of the bail is probably in order. Bails get bent very easily over the years, as reels are often dropped, jammed into tight places, or just used over a period of years without adjustments. When bending, remove the bail from the reel.
Don't mar the surface of the bail wire since this might cause a burr that will cut your line. Cover your tools with tape or rubber. Be patient.

Hope this helps. Let us know.

Best, Fred
Bronco
Frequent Board Poster

Garcia Mitchell 302 -- Bail Problem

Post by Bronco »

Hi Salmonberries,

Just checked my inventory. If you do need a bail wire and cannot get one locally easily -- I have 3 for the 302 & 1 that is different -- so it must be for a 303. New Old Stock. I compared it with an old 302 that has the same problem as yours -- and it seems that the angle is a little higher on the new one -- thus eliminating the contact problem.

Best, Fred
salmonberries
Big ORCA Fan

Mitchell 302 bail problem

Post by salmonberries »

Thanks for the tips Fred. I checked the reel out and I would have to guess it is in fact the bail that is the culprit. I made a feeble attempt at bending it but finally gave up fearing the worst. Rather than purchase a new bail I decided to list the reel "as is" on ebay (full disclosure of course!) and let someone else give it a good home. Thanks again for your assistance!

Steve
Bronco
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Bronco »

Anytime Steve. You're welcome --

If ebay doesn't work to your satisfaction -- remove the wire part of the bail -- except for 1/8" sticking out past the line guide -- flatten the end with a vise -- solder the wire onto the line guide solidly -- file it smooth where it attaches to the line roller -- tighten the nut -- and presto, you have a great manual line pickup reel good for heavy duty fishing such as surf or aggressive water currents.

No more clicking!

Best, Fred
Araye50
Super Board Poster

Post by Araye50 »

Perhaps its too late for this ebay fodder, but others with the Mitchell 302 bail contacting the handle might benefit from this tip. Note: that there were 2 main handle designs on 302 reels. All the early versions had the handle at a 90 degree angle to main gear shaft, parallel to the head plate & painfully close to the bail-they have a tapered 'bullet' shaped nut at the end. The later 302's have the handle set at an angle away from the bail/body & a deeply grooved squarish nut. The later handles will all but eliminate the problem of collision with the bail. If it does collide, your bail is really bent.

Note also that early 302 bails were chrome plated brass & bent particularly easy. Later versions have SS bail wires that are mighty tough.