My improved and clean Mitchell 300

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
Mayberryman
Big ORCA Fan

My improved and clean Mitchell 300

Post by Mayberryman »

I know that for many of you this will be like a very young child attempting to tell you that shoes are made as left foot, right foot and can not be switched, however, yesterday I took a couple of my mitchell 300 reels apart, one to take completely apart, clean and relube and the other to remind me of how the parts go back together.
I used a friend's safety clean to completely remove all of the grease, grime and whatever else years and years of neglect adds to the inside and outside of the reel. I next used WD 40 to finish the cleaning and after completely drying the parts with both a rag and air from a compressor, I reassembled it using a small tube of penn lube (recomended by a retired person who repairs reels for the local sporting goods store). Now the reel works just as good as any of the newer reels I have and I am a very happy person ready to start on the same process with the other 20 something Mitchell and Garcia Mitchell reels that once belonged to my parents or grandfather.
My only question is that since I only wish to fish with these reels and or display them on shelves in my "Hobby Room" I know that these somewhat common Mitchell reels have value to only me and the memories that they provide when I touch and look at them.
My next goal is to strip one of the Mitchell 302s of paint and repaint it with matching paint from PPG, repaint the white letters and then clear with semi gloss clear.
Has anybody here done this, does this constitute some type of collector's blasphemy and if I did this would I be subject to tar and feather if and when I might come to a convention, sans reels?
Well, time to put the newly lubed Mitchell on a rod and go to the local cat fish pond and see if any of the kitties are up for a fight.
Araye50
Super Board Poster

Re: My improved and clean Mitchell 300

Post by Araye50 »

IF you go "to a convention, sans reels" nobody would ever have to know.
Mayberryman wrote: My next goal is to strip one of the Mitchell 302s of paint and repaint it with matching paint from PPG, repaint the white letters and then clear with semi gloss clear.
Has anybody here done this, does this constitute some type of collector's blasphemy and if I did this would I be subject to tar and feather if and when I might come to a convention, sans reels?
For me a major problem w/repainting collectible "Mitchell 302s" is dealing w/the engraving. There's a guy selling modified 302s on fleabay who offers an endless variety of hot colors. To me collectible & sentimental reels are best preserved in what's left of their honest original patina. However, common classic reels used regularly for fishing can be repainted any color in the rainbow.

Many people collect & use Mitchell reels, they "have value to" others besides "only" you. Repainting them will not generally enhance their value & will often reduce their "value".
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

It's really great fun and rewarding to get those old reels clean and running great, eh?! After all, that's what it's all about...kinda like a good spouse or friend...not about what's on the outside...it's the inside that counts. Of course, you want them to look as good as they can...but a "Tammy Faye" coat of make-up isn't the answer.

I guess you have to ask yourself, if they are "family" reels and they have some sentimental value as well as fishing value, why would you want to repaint them? What would you gain? they would lose their originality...certainly would not be more like what your dad and grandpa used. ...and since they are common, there is no value gain involved. Just clean 'em, fish 'em, and enjoy 'em!
Rodryr1
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Rodryr1 »

A few years since any comments. Curious how the lettering may have been done or attempted.
I was turned on to collecting , repairing and using vintage Mitchell by someone who became a very good friend and mentor. I've concentrated on the 300 and 308 series. When one talks of the value of these reels it interesting. Purist of collectors simply want original and could care less if there is anything sentimental attached. But when it comes to a friendship or sentimental value from these reels sometimes it priceless to the owner. My friendship started through a common connection with my buddy Frank. The brotherhood of the Marines. We were seperated by generations but shared the same passions. We logged in many hours fishing along side each other trading techniques, stories, talking about life and many times it was in reality some of the best mental therapy a person could get.
Two combat vets,seperated by generations but learning that the life experiences of it all can make two different people tick the same way.
Recently my friend passed away. At his estate sale I targeted the Mitchells, a lifetime of parts and all i could get. I retired my reels and integrated Franks into my fishing adventures. Using them just as he had left them. They continue to fish on. I will keep them as is. Repair as needed and as it should be have the old memories while creating new ones.
But a 100% custom restoration is going to happen. I plan on refinishing a couple reels and since firearms was another shared interest I plan on doing a "duracoat" finish and doing the lettering in a gold inlay. Yes, the purist would feel I destroyed the value of some classic vintage reels. But to me it a memorial of sorts and they will always be priceless to me.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Rodyr1 = These reels were made to fish and to catch fish, and that you're making that possible is a great thing. Don't worry about what "purists" say, they are your reels and you should do what makes you happy and what you think is right. I think a custom restoration would be awesome on a 300 or 308, and would make you appreciate and enjoy the reel even more. And it will, as you say, put new memories next to the old. I wish you the best on this journey and would love to read more about your restoration.
escharfie
Advanced Board Poster

Post by escharfie »

On an original Mitchell reel, you will see, if you look very closely, that the engravings are not painted, but are just engravings. What looks like white is the bright silver of the Aluminum. I use a Starrett machinists scribe to clean out the engravings.

I have added some white Testors model paint to a couple of reels using a micro artist brush and then very lightly and carefully wiped the excess off with a thinner damped cloth.

Original Mitchell paint is solvent and oil resistant. I have cleaned a painted reel with WD40 only to have the overcoat come off. The best paint for your Mitchell is automotive engine enamel from the auto parts store. It is also resistant to oil and solvents. Black engine paints are available in flat, satin, semi gloss, and gloss. Experiment with satin or semi gloss. I have used both. It will match the original finish nicely. Use very thin coats and you might be able to scrape the black paint out of the engravings after it cures for 1 week.

Here's a vintage 302 Salt Water that I painted with rustoleum engine enamel. It had some ugly salt water corrosion on it.

Before....

After....
Rodryr1
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Rodryr1 »

The lettering/engraving is shallow and adds a level of difficulty to say the least.
There is a product out there I've used in firearms applications that is obviously resistant to
Solvents and oils. Forster products offers a inlay which offers gold or silver inlay. I think the gold is a bronze powder and the other is a aluminium base powder. I have done some inlay on custom firearms that was in a very shallow laser cut engraving and had success.
Similar application to the model paint i applied with a toothpick and allowed it to sit for a few minutes. Then with a cotton cleaning patch used the cleaning solution provided to lightly wipe of the inlay from the smooth surfaces. It seems to be as advertised and i had no ill effects with cleaning solvent causing problems. My only concern moving forward and trying this with a reel is the fact im determined to use a "Duracoat finish", its great stuff. I just feel from experience its going to fill the engraved lettering. Once the duracoat cures the stuff is not coming off. It truly is a lifetime coating. I think i will have to speak with my "engraving guy" and get some advice.