handle soaking question

You got 'em, we know how to clean 'em
chrisham61
Advanced Board Poster

handle soaking question

Post by chrisham61 »

i started soaking about 40 mitchell handles in pb blaster i placed them in a plastic bucket with a lid on it about 3 hours later i opened the bucket and it apeared the solution was making a grease like substance i determined it was dissolving the plastic bucket are the knobs safe in this solution some of the screws and shank knobs are stuck
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Chris,

I've found the best way to unstick handle knobs is to run them in a vibrasonic tank with a 50-50 mixture of vinegar and water. The vibrating action works its way into the tiny gaps and releases the crud that stuck the handle knob in the first place.

If you search "vibrasonic" on this site you'll find a lot written about it.

-- Dr. Todd
chrisham61
Advanced Board Poster

handle soaking question

Post by chrisham61 »

wish i had one maybe one day
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Even without the sonic cleaner, that soak Todd recommended is the way to go. then rinse with water and use Kroil penetrating oil to finish the job. Definitely do not want to leave the handles in that stuff if it's melting plastic!
Araye50
Super Board Poster

Post by Araye50 »

Never tried PB Blaster on Mitchell handles, but would caution anyone from "soaking about 40 mitchell handles...about 3 hours" in any penetrant 1st & asking this Q later!

Some aerosol penetrating oils contain solvents that rapidly dissolve Mitchell plastic knobs. Even a quick spray follwed immediately by wiping off can melt the surface in the worst cases. If memory serves me WD40 did this! I doubt there'd have been anything left of Mitchell knobs after "soaking...3 hours"! Always test 1st, even popular products get reformulated.

Just acquired a small 3M 40W Ultrasonic bath cleaner. So far I'm underwelmed using water & detergents. Keep forgetting to pick up some cheap vinegar to try.
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Cleanng Reel Handles

Post by Bill Sonnett »

For many years I was frustrated by Shakepeare handle knobs which became stiff with that familiar green carosion. Finally I took some that I had given up on and dropped them into a jar of WD40. I forgot about them and a week or so later was amazed to find them in fine shape and the carrosion breaking up. By simply dunking them back in the solution and working them back and forth on the shafts while holding toilet paper against their end, the carosion was sucked right out in lest than 5 minutes and they were restored to like new condition. I have not had one since that could not be restored and with my senior citizen memory, some have been forgotten in the jar for months at a time with absolutely no damage to the plastic knobs. I do buy WD40 in the liquid form not the spray can. Not real sure if there is any difference.
chrisham61
Advanced Board Poster

handle soaking question

Post by chrisham61 »

i am soaking them in the pb blaster in a glass jar so that i can observe them in about a week i will see if it does any good and post results i bought the pb blaster in a gallon can thanks
Araye50
Super Board Poster

Re: Cleanng Reel Handles

Post by Araye50 »

I'm glad you had good luck, but hope you're not recommending the never test anything 1st - just drop, soak & forget method?
Bill Sonnett wrote: I took some (handle knobs) that I had given up on and dropped them into a jar of WD40. I forgot about them and a week or so later
chrisham61's experiment with "soaking about 40 mitchell handles...about 3 hours" might have had a very different outcome. Readers should consider heeding my warning that not all plastics used on reels are compatible w/all penetrating oils & a little caution can go a long way to avert problems.

My experience w/Mitchell knobs was quite dramatic. The aerosol penetrating oil rapidly attacked the plastic knob & instantly damaged the surface finish. Given time immersed I have no doubt a knob would have dissolved completely! Admittedly it was an exceptional situation & not repeated w/other penetrating oils or knobs, but there are many more penetrants & plastics than I'll ever encounter. I also tend to stick w/what works & haven't invested time trying out all comers.

It will cost readers next to nothing to test 1st, before soaking for extended periods or committing large numbers of knobs. Simply use a cotton swab soaked in the intended penetrant & test a small spot on the plastic to be immersed.

I've also had a penetrant that attacked Mitchell's resilient paint.
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Read carefully

Post by Bill Sonnett »

I never recomended that anyone do anything, just told of my experience with handles that were about to be thrown away as hopeless. My success was due to pure accident and forgetfulness. Almost all the reels I work on are Pflueger or Shakespeare and as most will attest the later Shakespeares with the solid white knobs have a bad habbit of causing green carosion and refusing to turn. As I use these reels for vintage equipment fishing and have been finishing out about 10 to 20 Marhoffs a year for others who enjoy using them, this problem is encountered quite often. So far I've had 100% success with WD40 putting these handles back in fine working order and personally have no fear of damage as some have been in WD40 for as long as 6 months. I cannot say what effect it would have on any other reel handles, but in this particular case it has worked beyond my wildest expectations!
chrisham61
Advanced Board Poster

handle soaking question

Post by chrisham61 »

the pb blaster will disolve the small handles that come on 304 and 300 series reels but apparently has no effect on the torpedo style knobs i tried the vinager method first then pb blaster soak the knob screws and handle knobs that were stuck are still stuck i think what is sticking them is the white stuff that has been reffered to as reel cancer dont know if there is any hope for them thanks
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Note to self: don't use PB blaster for anything...
sdlehr
Advanced Board Poster

Re:

Post by sdlehr »

john elder wrote:Note to self: don't use PB blaster for anything...
I know this post is old, but I have sprayed PB Blaster into one of those little bottles with a needle tip and use it as a penetrating oil with great effectiveness. It is measured out in small drops and never contacts plastic that I want to keep around.

Sid
Sid Lehr