Mentalhealth check?

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
robert ellis
Super Board Poster

Mentalhealth check?

Post by robert ellis »

Am I the only one who thinks this reel is pretty? Its an Ambassador Model No. L-22 by Duncan Briggs made in Providence Rhode Island, I'm guessing 1950's, my pal Randy from Texas had this up on Ebay for a month and no takers but me! might have been his pics! :wink:
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

no :D
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Re: Mentalhealth check?

Post by scottorock »

Id Buy It!
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Some of those post-war hammered aluminum reels are really ugly to me. This one is beautiful.
Mark
robert ellis
Super Board Poster

Post by robert ellis »

I see Scott is doing his homework, this was posted by me in Dec.2011, the reel sold for $103.00 and went to Canada :canada Mark I know you know this! :wink: The process is called machine jeweling! It is an old tooling process seen on many different items. U.S. patent number US293,249, filed in 1883 by by BEVIF HOMEIGKEOTJS and issued in 1884! Most of what I found on the internet only shows a single bit tool, so either Duncan Briggs came up with a multi-bit device or this was a very time consuming process? This is not a decal, it is actually scratched into the aluminum! Here is a link for more info! :type:

http://www.workingpsychology.com/divers ... eling.html
robert ellis
Super Board Poster

Post by robert ellis »

Here is another version for those who care? :) Its a Model No.L322, only difference is that this one does not have any jeweled end caps! Just has some dust covers with an oil port, same on tail plate! (The L-22 above has a Bronson jeweled end cap on the face plate?) I remember it had its own jeweled end caps. It must have been missing one so I would have put this one it :?: This does not have the ABL on the face plate as the other one and has some exposed bridge screws. The crank knobs should be white these are oil stained with a Bronson crank nut! Again I think I put the crank nut on? :roll:
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

An old machinist trick was to use a piece of wood dowel (about 3/8") and some lapping compound in a drill press. Run the end of the dowel to load it with the compound then work a pattern across the plate with it being flat on the table. Makes a nice pattern. You could also use a round piece of wet/dry abrasive paper cut to the shape of the end of the dowel and stuck to it with double sticky tape. You would have to change the paper often though.
robert ellis
Super Board Poster

Post by robert ellis »

Don, what someone first told me that this jeweling looks like fish scales? What I do not understand is how they came up with the flat sides and some over lapping each other :?:
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Robert - The first circle you put on will be round. Step over for the next circle but let about 1/3 of it cover the first circle and so on. Starting the next row, overlap about 1/3 at the top and also on the side as above. To make it flat on the top either tilt the head or put a shim under one edge so the circle will not be complete. Clear as mud?
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

Pflueger sold an Akron with this finish in 1931.
Reel Addictive
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Reel Addictive »

Beautiful reels Robert.

I was trying to imagine what Don was explaining about using a dowel. Then this morning I found a cool fish decoy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121160588210?ss ... 123wt_1255

Unless I'm completely lost (which is possible) aren't all the fins on this decoy made using this technique?

I bet these have a really cool effect when turned in the light.

William.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I would say yes, William...neat decoy!
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Robert and William, many refer to that finish as a damascene(d) finish. Or as Col. Milt liked to say, "engine turned". In addition to the Akron that Robin mentions above, Pflueger also used that finish on the concealed inner faces of the sideplates on the Atlapac. ORCA member Dan Brock explained to me that it was finished that way to retain oil better.
robert ellis
Super Board Poster

Post by robert ellis »

That Dan guy! Love the word he taught me acrewtaments or something like that :?: he does excellent wood and leather work also! revamps Creels with his designs! His wife is a wonderful lady! yes on the oil thing! Can any metal be used? :)
robert ellis
Super Board Poster

Post by robert ellis »

Thank you William and Brian, :bow: that decoy fish is way cool! along with the rest of his work!
robert ellis
Super Board Poster

Post by robert ellis »

I see he added a few more fish decoys, that one with the jeweling would be great for striper's here in the Colorado River and Lake Mohave! Normally a nocturnal feeder! AZ Fish and Game say they are eating the trout which are plated frequently and the smaller carp!? But someone caught a 54 lb. a mile from my house 8 months ago! In the day time :fished Also big flatheads!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121160588210?ss ... 123wt_1255