Productive Couple of Weeks!

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Productive Couple of Weeks!

Post by Wayne B. »

IT's been a productive (and expensive) couple of weeks. Filled a couple large gaping holes in my collection:

X-Pert 20
Coxe 15
Bronson/Coxe 25N

Last edited by Wayne B. on Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Productive Couple of Weeks!

Post by wrong99 »

Very nice examples. Those reels are some of the cleanest designs produced. Don't worry at all about the money, Wayne. Spend it while it's still worth something.
Mark
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Yes, great group of reels, Wayne!
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Wayne I just visited you reel site and found it very interesting. I had been working with Robert Ellis (RIP) for some time in investigating the chronological evolution of the Coxe freshwater reels especially the #25’s. Through the many small internal changes it has been possible to refine the chronology of the reels but it has been far more difficult to assign dates to the many changes. Eventually an article for Reel News is planned.

I did want to tell you that one lesson has been brought home time and again. After 1946 until the introduction of the Coronet and the demise of the German Silver framed #25’s shortly there after, there is often little rhyme nor reason as to what foot was used for each reel or what markings it might contain. It is almost as if there was a large barrel of #25 feet that already were stamped with specific markings and folks just grabbed whatever was on top in assembling frames for #25’s. Every possible combination has been seen. #25N’s marked ‘25’, #25’s marked “25N”, reels that were some of the last GS 25’s with feet marked 39, 41 or 46.
The aluminum spool was introduce quite late in the life of the GS 25s’ yet one finds reels, with aluminum spools, with feet marked with much earlier dates. It is possible that some of these spools were replacements but they appear so often that this seems not to be the case. Hopefully the evolution of the internal parts will finally enable us to accurately date a GS #25 There is also a somewhat less complicated evolution when it comes to the Coronets.
Willis Logan
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Willis Logan »

Very thing Mr Sonnet Says you can take book on. The 25 Coxe is an interesting reel and its history is too cool. The X pert 20 is a trade reel made for Sears by Bronson.

The 15 Coxe is in (my opinion) probably the finest non free spool, level line reel every produced.

Fun Hobby
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Good quote from "The Car Guys":

"Most men think money is worth more than anything it can buy."

But not us reel guys! Fine find Wayne!

Bad Bob
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Nice group of reels Wayne!

I sometimes chuckle when I think about the number of reels that I refused to pay some seemingly exorbitant price for while working through a portion of a collection only to pay excessively more for a similar specimen when it was the last one needed to complete the endeavor. :lol: :loco:

Tom
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

nice set, Wayne! They look great!