Two little Pfluegers

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Jerry J in OK
Super Board Poster

Two little Pfluegers

Post by Jerry J in OK »

I picked up on Thursday on the way home from my son's home in TX. Both are 1" pillar and 1 3/4" plate. The one on the left is the No. 1 and probably made between 1927-32 and was called the Portage Osage (no click) and did not have the wood handle knob. The No. 1 in the 1906 catalog was called the Pflueger single action reel no click and in the 1916 catalog it was called the Portage Leader. These two reels had a wooden knob. The one on the right is the No. 21 (with click) and older since it has the wood handle. In the 1906 catalog it was called the Pflueger single action reel with click, 1916 it was called the Portage Excell. The click on the reel on the right doesn't work but there is a rivet at 12 o'clock on the tail plate which indicates the reel had click. I think I got this all right. The Excell was also shown in 1927, 29, and 32 catalogs but I believe it had a handle made of something other than wood.

Jerry

OCauto
Super Board Poster

Re: Two little Pfluegers

Post by OCauto »

Very nice
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Does the reel on the right have "Pflueger" stamped on the foot? I have the same reel with the Pflueger stamping and it also has a rivet. I always thought it didn't have a click since it doesn't work. I thought the rivet was just to plug the hole. On mine there are no holes for rivets to hold the spring and I don't think Pflueger ever soldered click springs in. So if it has a spring for the click how is it mounted?
Len Sawisch
Site Admin

Post by Len Sawisch »

Hmm, for what it is worth, in this size range . . .

I have four with the single rivet; two are silent, one has an occasional click and one has a strong click. Can't tell where the spring is mounted, but my guess is all clicked at one time.

I have two with no rivet and they clearly have no click.

All six, by the way, are looking for a new home.
Jerry J in OK
Super Board Poster

Post by Jerry J in OK »

Don, I asked BB about this point and he agreed the rivet was for the click model. Neither of these have Pflueger on them. I have a couple that are marked Pflueger and others. I am going to look for the rivet on them and see which ones click and which ones don't.

Jerry
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Checked for Jerry earlier. Mine with the single rivet does click. May remain a mystery since I don't intend to ruin the reel to find the secret.

Cheers for all we can make of a New Year! Bad Bob