Another "To clean, or not to clean?" HENDRYX FLUSH CRANK

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Another "To clean, or not to clean?" HENDRYX FLUSH CRANK

Post by scottorock »

Picked up this Hendryx Raised Pillar Flush Crank hoping the oxidized metal was german silver, not brass. I know Hendryx did a lot of brass work, but I also know they made german silver reels as well. From the pictures in the listing I couldn't tell because Ive had many GS reels oxidized in the same manner. Plus, I don't know why, but I thought hendryx put the hard rubber knob on their GS reels and used the bone, or ivoroid, or whatever else on their brass and nickel plated reels. Anyways, I was wrong, again. Shined up the bottom of the foot and the reel is brass. Now...I know were everyone stands on the cleaning question from all the other threads...BUT, on this particular reel, would you clean or not clean? Im not a fan of shiny brass and I think it looks better as is. I am leaning on selling it and am wondering if the reel would generally be better accepted if left as is, or shined up.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Re: Another "To clean, or not to clean?" HENDRYX FLUSH CRANK

Post by Brian F. »

That's definitely a good candidate for a type of cleaning job that does not have it end up looking like chrome. I could see it finished like some of the examples that John E and Dean have put up.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

That's a tough call...I agree with Brian, but the problem is that it's tough to catch brass in that intermediate point! a lot of the staining will take a good polishing to remove...and by the time that point is reached, you are closer to a 2013 penny than one from 1950. If you get to that point, you are better off giving it a real polishing, then letting the patina come back...it will, in fairly short order. If you are selling it, you might want to just clean it, lube it and leave it...get rid of that line...and I guess I'd want to see what it looked like inside before finally concluding that it's all brass...maybe you'll get a nice surprise!

Okay...I have to admit that I would give it a vinegar treatment and see where that took me. Might be such a thing that the heavy staining will loosen up. If you get rid of the majority of the staining, you might find a happy place without pulling out the belt sander ;-]
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

...get rid of that line...
Please dispose of properly.