A very rare reel

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Jacob : salmonfisher03
Super Board Poster

A very rare reel

Post by Jacob : salmonfisher03 »

There is many rare and scarce reels out there.
From Hardy we know the Cascapedia flyreel and from Edw. Vom Hofe we know the rare Vom Hofe reel 413.(which I have never seen :cry: )

But also in Denmark we have some very rare and scarce reels.
I will now show you a reel I just bought... :shock:

Danish made reel for tuna fishing, together with 2 books of tuna fishing. (in Danish)

This reel is made before 1955-1956. As we know that the factory closed 1956.
Name of the reel is Dansk Splitcane Factory.
It is very hard to find any records from this factory, so I can't tell you how many there was made, but today there is not many for sale and I doubt that there still is many existence.

As many of you certain not know, it that Denmark in the 40's and 50's was one of the best places to fish for tuna. The best year was 1948 were they caught around 400 tuna.
The biggest tuna was fantastic 372 kg (820lbs).
The last tuna was caught in 1964 and the fishing just became historic.

Best
Jacob
BAP-62
Advanced Board Poster

Re: A very rare reel

Post by BAP-62 »

Very nice.
kingfisher
Super Board Poster

Post by kingfisher »

Jacob,

Except that your reel has metal side plates it looks very similar in design to Ocean City reels of the 1930's .ie Panama , Long Key . Great find.

Ray
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Nice reel, Jacob, and certainly something unusual. I'd agree with Ray about what it looks like. What are the dimensions on it?
Super Board Poster

Here the dimensions for the reel

Diameter 6,5"
Inside spool 5,6"
Outside 6,3"

Could you post a picture of the Ocean City reel? Would like to see it.

There was also another danish made tuna reel from the 50's, where all the parts came from Penn.

Best
Jacob
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

The Ocean City Balboa and Panama reels can be seen at Robert's Ocean City Reel Photos site
Super Board Poster

It looks a bit similar the Ocean City "Long Key" and maybe they were inspired from Ocean City.
The founder of Dansk Splitcane Industri, had been in USA were he learned to make splitcane rods, and when he moved back to Denmark in the 1930's, he started to build rods and reels.

Best
Jacob
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Nice. Does your wife know you bought it? Ha!
Super Board Poster

Jon, yes my wife know the reel. The tuna reel is so big that I can't hide it for my wife :shock:

But this reel that came yesterday, is the size so that I can hide it in the drawer :wink: so not a reel that my wife will see, so please don't tell her :roll:

Edw. vom Hofe 355 Peerless

The pearl in my collection.

Best
Jacob
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Thanks, I've had my chuckle for the day. I think we all operate the same. I can't count the times I've gone out to get the mail then taken it around and stashed it in the garage before coming back into the house. The life of a collector! (Another nice reel by the way)
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I always tell linda it's one someone sent me to fix...she sometimes believes me and scowls somewhat less ;-)
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

:lol: Pretty funny, guys. Much harder to hide 16/0s than fly reels :D
Super Board Poster

John, I have used the same excuse many times, but now Tania (my wife) don't believe me any more :?
so I need some new excuses and some more space cause all my drawers are full :lol: :lol:

I look forward to come and see you all at an ORCA convension, but I'm afraid that it can be expensive for me :shock: all the drinks I have to spend to you, so that our secrets will stay secret for our wifes :wink:

Best
Jacob
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Don't you know what's spoken on Reel Talk, Stays on Reel Talk?
kingfisher
Super Board Poster

Post by kingfisher »

Jacob, New excuse ? Have you tried buying a reel and handing it to your wife and then asking her to give it to you as a Birthday present? The fact that she does not have to BUY you a present may confuse the fact that you have actually bought another reel. That may help with one reel but I can't see you getting away with a Birthday once a week. LOL. If you can get one usable exuse from each member you will laughing. Join RA...Reels Anonymous and say you are trying your best.
Ray
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

John,
What kind of excuse do you use when it never leaves, it was unrepairable & you didn't want to pay return postage? :lol:

Jacob,
Give the next reel you get to Tania & tell her you bought it special just for her. She'll probably give you a funny look and hand it right back. Make sure that it's not a really rare and valuable one though, she may throw it at you. :jester

Tom
P.S. Whenever there's a new rod and/or reel that I really want, I get it for my wife for her B'day or Christmas. Then I take it to work the "bugs" out & adjust it when I go :fished the next time. Pretty soon she forgets it was her's. :roll:
Last edited by Midway Tommy D on Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super Board Poster

Jon, yes I know what happens / spoken on Reel Talks stays on Reel Talk - but still I want to spend you a drink :wink:

Ray and Midway Tommy: you 2 gave me some good ideas and I will now start to do a book with this title
"52 excuses to get a reel inside your home". One reel each week most be enough :roll:
And you both gave me excuses for the first 2 weeks, so now I only need to find 50 more :loco:

Best
Jacob