Early California History artifacts

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Reelholder
Frequent Board Poster

Early California History artifacts

Post by Reelholder »

This early leather bound book called "Tight Lines", with the jumping Broadbill, is a rare book and a rare look into gentlemen angling around the Channel Islands off Southern California, in the 1920's. They used mostly Coxe reels made in Los Angeles. I hope most of you have at least held a 6/0 or 9/0 Coxe from L.A. to see just how tough Coxe engineered them.

Be sure to scroll down to see 2 more pictures of significance to west coast collectors.

Here is a picture of Joe Coxe taken from the book ..."Men , Fish and Tackle". He made vom Hofe reels obsolete on the west coast starting before 1920...and by the mid 20's every gentleman had to have a Coxe 9/0 reel.

This book was written by the same author as "Tight Lines"...Ralph Bandini. I'm grateful he documented the stories of west coast angling history. "Men, Fish and Tackle" sure sounds enticing to a fisherman...especially with the jumping marlin on the cover. The highlight is The chapter that explains Joe Coxes' approach to landing 100 pound tuna in 10 minutes instead of an hour or more. He simply pulled the trigger on his star drag, putting the reel almost into free spool. The bluefin tuna had to drag a few hundred yards of wet linen line which quickly tired the fish leaving the angler fresh enough to just reel the line in as the skipper drove the boat toward the tuna. Kind of cheating...but the trend now is to lay your rod on the rail when fighting 50 to 400 pound yellowfin tuna on San Diego's long range fishing trips. I consider that cheating...it's truly sporty to balance the reel and rod while standing up insted of kneeling...to each his own. Since anglers started using braided spectra and using th rod on the rail...the world record was toppled.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Early California History artifacts

Post by john elder »

Thanks much for sharing, Wayne! I hope you will be able to join us for the Nationals this year in San Diego. We are inspiring all the West Coast collectors to come add their collections and input to share our Western fishing heritage. You certainly have both!

Note also an affirmation of your comment is that the tuna record cannot be established on those long range boats if it is known that the fisherman rested the rod on rail during the fight, in addition to no allowance for help from the deckhands in fighting the fish. I have not tried a long-range trip into such fishing, mainly due to "mal de mer" that keeps me from enjoying the experience. But it must be quite an adventure!
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

HOLY SMOKES!
just looked this book up on abebooks.com. 4 for sale stating at $1279 and going as high as $2500
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Ha! I guess i gave Wayne a pretty good deal on his copy!

Luckily, if it's just the info you seek, it's been repopped in softback for a lot less!
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

I think Bill means the other book, Tight Lines.
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Yes ---Tight Lines

must be rare and sought after to achieve those prices
Reelholder
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Reelholder »

I will be in San Diego this year...I regret that I missed the Frankfort convention because Kentucky reels really excite me. My first glimpse of a Kentucky reel was Dave Gaustad's first collection of Meek& Sons...and Horton Meeks. They were all carefully polished with a "T" shirt as I recall and they were stunning. I should say I've seen some amazing bargains on ebay lately. A scarce variation of a #25 Horton in the maroon box sold for $153. Congratulations to the lucky winner. Keep buying my friend a collection of those later Kentucky reels are absolutely stunning since the earlier Kentucky reels are very rare and very expensive. The later reels aren't the greatest investment...but they bring very much enjoyment when properly displayed at home.

JOHN ELDER BRINGS UP A VERY SIGNIFICANT point about using the rail to kill large world record tuna. It is the standard practice now to rest the rod on the rail during the fight of 50 pound plus tuna on long range boats. I had forgotten or did not know that using the rail...or letting the deckhand hold the rod as a tuna passes under the anchor line or another angler's line is a violation of IGFA rules. This needs to be brought to the attention of the IGFA so they can confirm several new world records established since braided line has given anglers such an advantage. It's funny...the braided line really does give anglers a significant advantage over the 130 pound mono used 15 years ago. But that's not enough...anglers have to use every advantage they can dream up...including the rail. Custom rods are made just for fighting fish using the rail. In fact...I'm not sure of the rod length requirements of the IGFA. It's possible some rods are too short to qualify for a world record.
Carl Newell had a 39" rod made. He clamped a 6/0 size reel on it and when you hooked a fish on that rod...it was in the boat in no time...without the rail...so rod length really makes a huge difference.