Summit 1993J

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Jerry J in OK
Super Board Poster

Summit 1993J

Post by Jerry J in OK »

I have had this reel about 6 years now. It is one of those you dream about getting a box for. It has a few small finish issues but I am glad to have it.

Then lo and behold about 3 weeks ago I got this.

The reel has two patents and other patents pending on it and the box has 3 patents and other patents pending on it but by golly it is close enough for me.

Jerry
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Summit 1993J

Post by john elder »

Nice, Jerry! These are still on my short list of favorite reels, especially those early NS Summits.
Jerry J in OK
Super Board Poster

Post by Jerry J in OK »

Thanks John. I have another 1993J that has 1993J stamped on the bottom of the foot. I think my son has it.

Jerry
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

Nice! Love those reels! Thanks for sharing!
Jerry J in OK
Super Board Poster

Post by Jerry J in OK »

Me too Scotto. I guess that is why I have 145 or so of them.

Jerry
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

Ha! I don't know if its funny, funny or funny, crazy but I also have a gross or two of them. We should put our Summits together, take a step back, stare at them in awe, and ask ourselves "What the heck is our problem?!?" and "Why isn't one, or a dozen enough?!?" I think Sonnett has a truck load of Summits too. And I know Daryl and Dylan would definitely be tall enough to ride this crazy train as well.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

You guys are sick...i feel better now about the eight or so i have! :shock:
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

Thank you, John, for speaking for me.
Mark
Jerry J in OK
Super Board Poster

Post by Jerry J in OK »

I don't have that many summits, just 12 or so along with 15 akrons, 12 or so Supremes, and a bunch of the other Pflueger baitcast reels. Got a bunch of raised pillars, etc. etc. etc.

I would probably have had more if I hadn't wasted so much time collecting over 830 of their old metal lures.

Jerry
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

OH...well...maybe I stand alone here. Excuse me while I step back into my padded room! Anyways, Ive always wondered if I had ever bought the same Summit twice. Just as some people wonder if they've ever handled the same penny or dollar bill twice in their life. I think I should start tagging my reels like scientists tag Great Whites or butterflies to track their migration.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

mine isn't as pretty, but...

scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

WHOA...WAIT! 830 of their lures!?! I don't have any of those. That makes you crazier than me! Just kidding. WOW...that must be an awesome collection! Ahh, come on John...what that reel lacks in crazy waves waves and zig zags it makes up for in experience. Awesome reel! Great shape too! I haven't seen one for sale in ages. Folks hang on to those, for a reason too!
Jerry J in OK
Super Board Poster

Post by Jerry J in OK »

Love that reel John. Can't find any of them in the prairie of OK. Scotto I just got started and then there they were. I probably am crazier than you. I used to tage reels but then I would fill a gap[ and then had to redo them so I said the heck with it. To tell the truth I believe we are all a little touched.

Jerry
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Re: Summit 1993J Two interesting Summit boxes

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Here are two Summit boxes that are interesting to me and possibly to other Summit aficionados. The maroon box is stamped May 1932. The green and white box has what appears to be a similar label with the exception of patent dates in very small print near the bottom. It is stamped August 1933. In addition it has a Hibbard Spencer & Bartlett label glued to the top of the lid. Immediately below the red 1993J designation it is clearly stamped "C1993G". I have no idea what the "C1993G" designates. I'm open for suggestions fellows. Jerry I see your box label says Anti Backlash, wouldn't that mean that it needs a reel from 1929 or later with the anti backlash adjustment? I also notice it has the patent dates as on this green & white box. Is there an inspection date on the bottom? Food for thought.

RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Your model could be either 1927 or 1928, Jerry. Those years only two patent numbers appeared on the reel, although the 1927 catalog also listed a third patent, May 4, 1926. Your box, with three patents, is therefore correct.
Keep on! Bad Bob
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Unless I'm mistaken Bob, the 1927 and 1928 boxes don't say "Anti-Backlash" on the label as the anti-backlash feature was not on the reel until 1929. ?
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Oops! Showing my age! I should have been able to read 20 point type but somehow got absorbed in the patent thing. You are quite right Bill. First anti-backlash was 1929.
Bad Bob

Today's advice: Never depend on an old fool for today's advice.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

This one's not quite as early, but a very nice Summit for sale over on joes

http://www.joesoldlures.com/wwwboard/me ... 51338.html

Someone go buy this reel!
Warren Platt
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Warren Platt »

To bad all you guys do is look at your reels! I love to fish them, thus when I was going to get one to fish with I got the earliest that I could find. Used it for some time but never could get over the professional over run every so often. After awhile I noticed I wasn't using the old Summit reel as much as I thought I would. Then I got a couple of the light spool models (L) and casting them was much easier. I now use a Summit often again and really enjoy them.

I do have a Summit question.
Is there a reason my two smoothest running Summits are the two left hand crank models I have? Any real reason for that?
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Warren, I wonder if it relates to pawl wear...or lack thereof. If that lefty got to fish as much as this lefty does, then I would suspect your LH reels' pawls are like new and the righties are probably worn bit...or maybe it's the other way around...or neither!...but I'm betting our buddy Bill would be point in that direction on this one!

In WI, I had great designs on using what I thought would be the greatest old reel to fish...a later model summit with the push button free spool...however, I never did get that reel to behave and I went back to my Langley Reelcast, which even I almost never backlash! I'll have to go give that Summit another look.

ps...another thought...when you use the LH reel, do you still cast with the handle in the same position as you do with the RH model?...i.e, is it on top or bottom...I'm assuming you have the reel turned at 90 degrees or so to parallel?
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Warren is left handed and assuming he cast with the handle up that would explain the difference. As we have mentioned before all these reels were designed to run with he handle up during the actual cast.
Jerry J in OK
Super Board Poster

Post by Jerry J in OK »

I overlooked the anti-backlash on the box also. No matter, I have one or two of them also so I have the reel for the box. Bill it has 1932 on the box bottom, if I remember correctly.

Appreciate it guys. No matter I still like it.

Jerry
Jerry J in OK
Super Board Poster

Post by Jerry J in OK »

Looking at my box again I see it has Level wind and anti backlash on the box, oh well, I have a few of them too.

Later guys.

Jerry
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Jerry if it says 1932 the reel for it would not have the amber handles but the drive gears would not yet have spiral cut teeth. That's about as close as I could get. If you get a chance let me know the month and year on the inspection stamp and that may help narrow down the time of the switch over to green and white boxes.
Jerry J in OK
Super Board Poster

Post by Jerry J in OK »

Bill it looks like 6 32.

Jerry