Ideas for displaying patches and stickers?

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Ideas for displaying patches and stickers?

Post by jimbofish »

Over the years I've accumulated a fairly sizable number of cloth patches and stickers from various tackle manufacturers. Most are from the '70s and '80s when companies gave them away at shows or charged a nominal fee (<$1) for postage. There's also some 'successful hunter' and sportsman's club patches.

Initially, the idea was to sew them on a jacket or shirt, creating a "fishing shirt/jacket". By the time I decided on the 'perfect' garment to sew them on, there were too many to fit. Besides I've decided I no longer want to look like one of those tournament fishing pros.

The obvious thought that comes to mind is arranging them in a picture frame behind glass, as I have several unused ones. Wall space for large items is becoming scarce here though, with all the other stuff already there.

Right now they're just hiding in a large wooden cigar box, probably 75 to 100 regular size ones and a couple of larger back-of-the-jacket size. So, I'm wondering if any one here has come up with or seen a different way to display or use cloth patches.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Re: Ideas for displaying patches and stickers?

Post by Brian F. »

Giant Rolodex?
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Good idea for neatness, Brian, but i think Jim was hoping to see them! Jim, i'd try the picture frame method, with felt backing on cardboard, to keep them from sliding around...that's the main problem.

It's interesting that this should come up. Ron Lewis just donated a bunch of patches, along with a bevy of metal fish pins (from contests?) along with many fishing license and other buttons. I was trying to figure how to auction or sell for the club, but wasn't sure of the interest level?
kingfisher
Super Board Poster

Post by kingfisher »

I saw a display system that was vertically hinged to a wall . Like an exercise book that you turn each page to look at . It does not take up a lot of room and allows you to easily turn the display boards to view .
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

kingfisher wrote:I saw a display system that was vertically hinged to a wall - that's where the rolodex idea came from. Like an exercise book that you turn each page to look at . It does not take up a lot of room and allows you to easily turn the display boards to view .
I initially thought of the same thing but jimbofish mentioned lack of wall space. I've seen posters displayed like that in stores but thought it could be improved to look better. Instead of having it stick out from the wall at a right angle, maybe it could be hinged to fold flat against the wall to look like a very thick picture frame. It would be four or five stacked on each other, each with hinges. You turn each page like the poster display but when stored, it's a little neater looking.
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

The giant Rolodex and poster display gives me some ideas. :cool A changeable format makes better use of space than trying to show them all at once. Yet they're easily available to see. I'm picturing something like a large calendar that could have the pages flipped every so often.

John,
I'd think there's interest in patches and pins. They seem to sell well on Joe's board and I saw several wanted-to-buys on a recent hunting and fishing collectors club meet website. Maybe a feeler thread would bring out the 'closet' patch/pin collectors? I have an old Fenwick fishing hat that I've loaded up with so many pins it's too heavy to wear. :oops: Besides it would sink if it ever fell into the water. :)
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

The problem with that idea is that you still have to "maneuver" something to see your collection, just as you would a giant Rolodex or an album. Your entire collection can't be displayed where you can sit and admire it. It's pretty much simple physics. If you don't have the room to display all of them at once (the picture frame idea seems the most practical), then you'll have to move something else to make room.
Mark
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Adding on Ray and Brian's idea, depending upon available display area, one could design a vertical pivot display with multiple panels, i.e. similar to a book that would be hinged at the binding. Each panel/page could be 2 sided w/ glass on each side and a removable panel could slip between the glass, or clear acrylic, panes from the top, sort of like an envelope. The idea is basically a modified design that home improvement or floor covering companies use to display multiple panels in a confined area. One pivoting panel could display twice as many patches, the "book" could be displayed somewhat open to show that there are multiple pages, therefore easily flipped through (pivoted) to see each page in its entirety. It would, though, protrude out from the wall somewhat depending on the thickness of the page/panel and how many there are. That same concept could be done where the panels are displayed horizontally but each page pivot point is located adjacent to another. Each page would pretty much lay over the last one. With this scenario 5 double sided panels, i.e. 10 display areas, would probably take the space of 2 panels displayed side by side. Then, just flip through the panels to view what's on them.

Tom
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Tom, that sounds exactly what I was trying to describe.
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

From what you guys are describing you could convert one of those floor covering displays found at a hardware store. Some are mounted vertical an have multiple panels.
Dale Noll
Super Board Poster

Post by Dale Noll »

Another approach:
One could also just lay out patches in a pattern and take photos. One could put as many or a few on a page. Each page could be inserted into sheet protectors and used as a secondary display. This would avoid actual handling of the patches. If individual photo were taken, these could be made into a collague with discriptive info. I used this idea to display the icons in the ORCA PhotoStory.

Dale Noll
Tom Clayton
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Tom Clayton »

Here is what I do with the ones that are not part of a display case.