JVH B Ocean

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

JVH B Ocean

Post by m3040c »

I number of years ago, before so many life events made me more worldly and such, I decided to create a Big Game Reel collection. That collection would have a different brand reel used to fill in for each size between 1/O and 16/O. Back then I thought this was a really great idea but as the years go, my feeling about things changed so I started selling off a few of the sizes. This little collection I created had been sitting on the shelf for many years, needless to say it was dusty but it was also a collection that was put in place as I found each reel. I did not restore the reels. Now that I am selling a few of them off, I want them to be clean and properly working for the next owners and because that may increase their value somewhat. I see nothing wrong with making a bit of money in this process, if I can.
So I started selling these reels off. First I sold a Ocean City Balboa 12/O, then I sold a Pflueger Templar 1420 1/2, next was Ocean City Long Key. Before each sale I would mechanically check the reel and do a cosmetic clean up. After the Long Key I pulled the Julius Vom Hofe B Ocean 6/O off the shelf and suddenly felt like I was holding a historically significant reel in my hand. The old JVH was not restored but was in perfect running condition.
This reel got me thinking of the story of the star drag and its origins, as told in Harlan Major's writings about Salt Water Tackle. I referred to that story in my book about Penn reels and remembered why the JVH B Ocean was given it model name.
So, I says to myself, "Self", you are now faced with a critical decision in terms of liquidating my Big Game Collection. I decided to take this reel down but not totally. I did not want to disturb a perfectly operating drive train but I did want to look inside this important reel, so I remove the tail plate.
What I find inside is an absolutely fascinating clicker and brake assembly in wonderful condition. This mechanism is much more complicated than what I am accustomed to in a standard 6/O tail plate. The hand made workmanship was superb and since it was operating as advertised, I did not do anything to this assembly except to clean it.
My next place to see was the 100 year old craftsmanship in the head plate.
Here is where the writings of Harlan Major show themselves to be true. I was looking at a constantly in mesh gear train with drag washers mounted into the main gear and the constantly in mesh pinion gear being controlled by an eccentric lever connected to a jack plate which moved the pinon gear up and down while staying synchronized with the main gear. This was the same design that Ocean City and Penn used for almost a century of production.
My decision is now made. I cannot sell this reel. I am hooked by it. I know that Julius Vom Hofe identified the B Ocean model with a stamped tail plate oil bearing cover, but the cover on this reel is blank. Be that as it may, I started to clean the reel for a permanent place in my glass case. While cleaning the hard rubber head plate I discover the logo. It is very faint but it is there. That was a happy find for me.
I knew the reel was a "B Ocean" because the B precedes the serial number stamped on the bottom of the stand, but finding it on the head plate made me feel this was an earlier model B Ocean. I suspect the later versions of this reel are identified on the tail plate oil cover
So now the cleaning is done and the reel has a new home protected in a glass cabinet.
But there is now a new problem in my life. How am I going to liquidate my big game collection if I keep falling in love with my reels. I have a feeling I am going to need a bigger glass cabinet :o
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: JVH B Ocean

Post by john elder »

Nice Mike! Great reels!