Shakespeare Sportcasts

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Shakespeare Sportcasts

Post by Wayne B. »

I've got another new low-budget passion...Shakespeare Sportcast narrow-spool reels. I've got six now but don't know how many they made so I'll just keep looking. Here's a couple pictures of the six. The all black Presidential 1971 is just a gorgeous reel!

wrong99
Star Board Poster

Re: Shakespeare Sportcasts

Post by wrong99 »

One of my favorite models, too. I think there's a "Professional Sportcast" that you don't have. Probably more, too. These were used a lot for tournament casting. Really nice group.
Mark
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

Professional SportCast #1980. Has a simpler stamping on tail of the earlier hand engraved design. Im actually listing one next week, Wayne. Check out my "scottorock" account on the 'bay. Should have that one and a few more Shakespeare's up by mid-week.

Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

I'll be looking for it.
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Very interesting collection Wayne. You are right about the Presidential Sportcast. It is not only a beautiful reel but a very quiet caster. Floyd Hill put me on to them some years back as he fished with them for years. It is a very quiet caster. Biggest shortcoming it has is that when loaded with monofilament (which it was advertised as being compatible with) the line often jumps the spool flange and brings fishing to a halt. I have owned and fished with five of them and some individual reels are worse that others.
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

Bill:

I bought this reel off the bay site. It looked like new, came with a very crisp box, and a mint soft case. The reel was stiff when I received it. After 20 minutes of a little TLC, this reel will spin like a new reel. And when I say new reel, I mean a Shakespeare New Sportcast reel. I have some other Sportcasts and they also with the proper cleaning and light lube spin like tops.

Did Shakespeare do something special with these reels, or is it the fact that a shorter spool will survive life with less distortion?

And, Bill, before I started my 20 minute rescue, I spent a half hour taking off the old gnarly mono that was on the spool and some inside. Maybe that this one looks so good. The guy gave up after his first cast!!! :)
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

Wayne,
There is also a Natural aluminum 1973(like your green version) and a green Direct Drive 1973D(like your silver 1977D). Love those narrow spools! Fun. Colby
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Wayne you made me laugh when you described the mono inside the reel. The advantage of a narrow spool is that the amount of line that it holds weighs significantly less than a full wide spool. It will cast a much lighter bait as there is much less inertia when the cast is started. However there is one downside and that involves extreme distance casting. As the line rolls off the spool, the diameter of the line on the spool decreases faster on the narrow spool as each yard of line requires more back and forth cycles on the narrow spool than on a wide one. Consequently, as the line flows out at a given rate the spool has to turn fast and faster as the diameter is reduced and this effect is magnified on a narrow spool reel and tends to lead to more backlashes. The light narrow spool should spin with very little effort but should also stop spinning fairly quickly as the light spool has less inertia. A light handle contributes to lack on inertia in narrow spool reels. This can be carried too far as on the first green, tear drop-shaped Sportcast. That handle tends to fold right up when fighting a very heavy fish and you will notice on the next (gold anodized) model that the handle was beefed up.
colby sorrells
Super Board Poster

Post by colby sorrells »

Bill,
Any consideration given to these narrow spool reels being designed primarily for tournament casting and not really for fishing(due to some of the exact problems you mention)? Another example might be that the little Coxe 25N works pretty good as a little tournament casting reel but does not work so well as a fishing reel especially with a top water lure.

Shakespeare dominated the 1950s tournament casting contests and no doubt was interested in that segment of the market. The Shakespeare model where the handle pulls out to free spool does not hold up to catching big fish for very long. Bill Burke converted a Langley Lurecast to a free spool version (like he has done on many other reels) and warned me not to fish with it because it would not hold up to catching large fish.

Thoughts? Keepin it fun!

Colby
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Where do the Direct Drives fit in this story? I have a green Direct Drive no. 1926 that i could contribute if it fits.
Bill Sonnett
Super Board Poster

Post by Bill Sonnett »

Actually Colby I have fished top water all summer and 90% + of that time with three GS Coxe 25N's with 8lb test nylon line. Warren is the one who has frequent disasters with this combo LOL
mannishevitz
Frequent Board Poster

Post by mannishevitz »

I know what you mean. I have been finding myself buying Diawa Silver and Gold series spinning reels. I guess I have fond memories of them as a kid. But the ABU 5000's I dont feel that way about, maybe becuase we blew so many of them up and just tossed them in the water....dad would buy tem buy the dozen when we went to CR....hehe. At least im getting them in the box cheap. Maybe I should mover into a trailer if I keep it up. :bricks: