Is this fishing related?

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
kage5264
Big ORCA Fan

Is this fishing related?

Post by kage5264 »

Hello all!

I apologize in advance if this is a silly question and common sense to all of you fishing enthusiasts.

This was found somewhere in Pennsylvania along a riverbank. At first we thought it was some sort of lead or silver pendant (its 3oz, approx 1" x 1.5" x 0.5"). After much research, we've hit a dead end.

The only possible leads/suggestions we've had is that it MAY be some sort of fishing sinker? Either for a pole or a net. However, any examples I've found of old sinkers have been more haphazard in their design, as this is generally a solid rectangle. I have not been able to find anything like it.

Please let me know if any of you have knowledge as to what this might be, and if you recognize it to be a plain old sinker. Thanks so much in advance!
Kage
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Is this fishing related?

Post by Paul M »

What does the other side of the object look like?
dbummee
Advanced Board Poster

Post by dbummee »

perhaps a weight from a duck decoy? Just sayin--
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

It's a type of fishing sinker used for bait fishing with rod & reel. When it's retrieved it skims along the bottom rather than hanging up on all sorts of things. At least that's the theory behind it. Not uncommon.