Penn 'Surf Angler No. 25' Trade Reel

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
DeepBlueReels
Big ORCA Fan

Penn 'Surf Angler No. 25' Trade Reel

Post by DeepBlueReels »

I recently picked up a Penn 'Surf Angler No. 25' trade reel. From what I've read, these reels were manufactured by the larger reel companies to be offered for sale through various merchants, such as sporting goods and department stores. I was intrigued with how this reel functions, with pulling out on the handle to set the reel in free spool mode, then pushing the handle back in to retrieve. This reel also has the 'waffle' pattern clicker button, and '250 YDS' embossed on the handle side plate, and inscribed on the bottom of the reel foot.

Here are some photos I took during the dis-assembly and cleaning of the reel.

The simplicity of the design and functioning makes this reel a breeze to maintain. The metal spool is a bit tarnished, but the overall patina of the reel looks great. Once lubricated and re-assembled, the reel functions as smoothly as some of the newer, more elaborate reels I've worked on. Save for not having an anti-reverse feature, this reel would get the job done in most situations.
Steve
Star Board Poster

Re: Penn 'Surf Angler No. 25' Trade Reel

Post by Steve »

Imitation is more than flattery; it seems to be a key to successful reelmaking. And imitation doesn't require identically shaped parts.

Pull-out clutches, ca. 1850 and ca. 1892. Penn would later make a similar clutch.
(From your earlier thread).