"Field find' reels: What were they used for?

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

"Field find' reels: What were they used for?

Post by Richard Lodge »

I walked through a huge flea market this morning (Rowley, Mass.). Saw quite a few over-priced rods, a few reels (most not worth more than a glance) and picked up this neat little pair of wooden reels. No way to crank them in, but the fact there are two hooks on the line of one of them tells me someone made them for fishing. I figure they slid onto some kind of flat railing or maybe a gunwale of a boat. With this heavy cotton twine, I figured they were sort of trotline rigs for catfish or for catching snapping turtles, although the hooks are a little small for that. The spools are about 2 1/2" in diameter. Any suggestions from ReelTalk readers?

dbummee
Advanced Board Poster

Re: "Field find' reels: What were they used for?

Post by dbummee »

Richard,

If I had to guess, I would say that they were part of an ice fishing set up.
You can see all kinds of "jacks" and other kinds of home made devices on
Lake Champlain during ice fishing season. Looks like you could just slip the reel
over the end of an upright and you're fishing. Just a guess.

Tom DuRose
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

I think Tom may be on to something here. It looks very similar to the modern reels with built in rattles that people use for ice fishing. People use them for dangling live bait inside a hole in the floor of a shack or for suspending a decoy for spearing in these parts.
Lynn Thomas
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Lynn Thomas »

How about that slot on foot of reel fitting on ice fishing tip-up. :?: Lynn Thomas