That homemade brass reel

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

That homemade brass reel

Post by Richard Lodge »

In response to a request that I show photos of the neat brass reel I included in my column in the July Reel News, here are some pics. What's curious, in my opinion, is how the ends of the spool are gears with what look like hand-cut teeth. But the teeth don't serve any purpose. I think someone had brass gears and figured they were the right size for spool ends. They seem to work just fine!

Here's what the foot looks like:

And the back plate, showing how it's attached in two ways:

Reel Addictive
Advanced Board Poster

Re: That homemade brass reel

Post by Reel Addictive »

Thanks Richard,

That is a really cool old reel. Kinda like steam punk meets antique tackle. My favorite part is the counter balanced handle. Reminds me of some of the earliest J F & B F Meek reel handles on steroids.

Question: How does this seat secure to the rod? No holes for screws. Would it slide on? The way its bent might lead you to believe a pair of pliers are needed to installation.

Thanks for sharing

William
Richard Lodge
Super Board Poster

Post by Richard Lodge »

William: Good question. I figure the angler used a ball peen hammer to bang that reel seat around the rod butt. Not sure what he/she did when the time came to take the reel off, but maybe it just stayed firmly attached!
:type:
reelsmith.
Ultra Board Poster

Post by reelsmith. »

Love it !

Dean.