Mitchell Reel Pictures

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
escharfie
Advanced Board Poster

Mitchell Reel Pictures

Post by escharfie »

I have selected a few pictures of some Mitchell reels from my collection that you might find interesting to look at.

1. Mitchell 300DL. There are two different styles of the 300DL presentation reel. This is an early version from the early 1960's. It has never been used. The trimmings are 24K Gold.

2. Mitchell 300 Kit. Shown here is an early version of the tackle box kit in a seldom seen red box from about 1957. The reel has never been used. The kit is complete with the lures, which were made in France too. Garcia put these kits together and sold them in the US.

3. The "Wedding Cake Reel". These were made in the 1960's and early 70's specifically for tournament distance casting which was a big deal back then, especially in Europe. They were not sold to the general public but were given to tournament professionals. The internal gear mechanisms are completely different from other Mitchell reels. There are less than 20 known to exist today worldwide.

4. 300X Red Box. This is a standard Mitchell 300 reel in an "X" kit that has a spare spool, a tube of grease, and a special wrench. The earliest 300X kits had the red box and are harder to find than the 300X black box.

This reel is very, very special to me. It was my first very own reel that my father bought for me back in 1962, when I was 14 years old. I have fished countless hours with this reel for many years. I was always very careful not to scratch or damage it. Every winter, I would take it apart and meticulously serviced it, then put it back in the box till spring. It's now sparkling clean and ready to go fishing again on a special occasion !

5. 408 DL Ultralight. The 408's are still popular today. They are a high speed version of the 308 and are colored a dark blue-green. The 408DL is the deluxe presentation version with 24K Gold trimmings and a wood display box. The 408DL is more rare than the 300DL.

That's it for now. Thanks for looking.
Ed Scharf
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: Mitchell Reel Pictures

Post by Midway Tommy D »

WOW! What an impressive group of reels, Ed. They are absolutely beautiful!

BTW, great 350 article in this month's Reel News!

Tom
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Post by Wayne B. »

Beautiful collection! Thanks for sharing!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

clapclapclapclap! Thanks for posting, Ed! I wish the reels I got in 1962....also when I was 14, BTW...looked the good. I still own them but I'm afraid the trips in and out of the Indiana strip pits were not as kind to mine!
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

What a wonderful group. I could look at beauties like that all day long. Thank you for sharing.
Mark
Tom M
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tom M »

john elder wrote:clapclapclapclap! Thanks for posting, Ed! I wish the reels I got in 1962....also when I was 14, BTW...looked the good. I still own them but I'm afraid the trips in and out of the Indiana strip pits were not as kind to mine!
John, After growing up around the same strip pits, I have to say that the wonderful memories out weigh the wear and tear on those reels. Battle scars...........love it! Wouldn't trade them for the world! Nice to know you still have a piece of that history.....
escharfie
Advanced Board Poster

Post by escharfie »

Thanks for the nice comments, guys !!
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

J. Elder probably fished with his reels in the strip pits around Terre Haute after long days of working in the Coal mines. Very soon after it was time to start high school!!
bettybarr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by bettybarr »

These are works of art. Please send a photo of how you display them.