Minerva - Extremely Rare & Seldom Seen

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Minerva - Extremely Rare & Seldom Seen

Post by Midway Tommy D »

I acquired this rare Minerva about a year ago and finally got around to cleaning and servicing it. It was filthy but I could tell that underneath all that grunge the outside was in otherwise excellent condition. It had a little (actually big) problem, though. The rotor cup moved in and out about a ½” and the ½ bail wouldn't trip correctly. When I disassembled it I found that the main shaft oscillation tube, which has cross piece, i.e. bail trip arm, brazed onto the rotor cup end, had been completely broken in half at the front end of the oscillation slide slot. The tube is secured by a through pin at the rear of the body housing. The pin connection was obscured by old grease and gunk and it took me awhile to figure out how to remove the tube. So, my best guess is that at some point someone tried to remove the tube by unscrewing it with a wrench or pliers and twisted in half at it's weakest point. The reel was basically useless and there was no way to repair the part so I decided I was going to have to make a new one from scratch by hand.

Once disassembled, I performed my usual cleaning process. I soaked all the unpainted metal parts, except the plated side-plates, for a couple of days in lacquer thinner. All other parts, including the plastic spool and handle knob, were thoroughly scrubbed with my favorite reel cleaner/degreaser, Original White GOOP Hand Cleaner, and then washed in dawn dishwashing detergent and scrubbed with tooth brush. After cleaning, the painted parts were a little dull and somewhat oxidized so I used some of my old Turtle Wax Aluminum and Fiberglass Boat Rubbing Compound, which is fairly mild, on the painted surfaces inside and out. I used Clear Coat Polishing Compound on the plated side plates. I then applied a coat of Formula One Carnauba Auto Wax on everything for an amazing glossy shine.

I went to the hardware store and bought a ¼” O.D. stainless steel tube with an I.D. smaller than the main shaft. I also picked up a couple of ½” stainless steel fender washers to make the bail trip cross bar. With a lot of time, patience and the original for a pattern, my finished part turned out great and works perfectly.

I had read about the Minerva in Ben Wright’s books and had also discussed it with him but he said the one he used to own had found it's way back to Italy. One day I visited the Italian Collector site ANTIPES and discovered that Italian ORCA Member Sergio Di Marco, a contributor to the Reel News, had authored an article in September this year about the Minerva: https://www.antipes.it/ulteriori_mulinelli_Minerva.html This was the most detailed written information and photos I had been able to uncover. In the article Sergio indicates that the Minerva clearly originated prior to 1943 because it was referenced in G.R. Olgiati’s 1943 First Edition “Run” as, when translated: "Minerva jack prendifilo automatic hook with rotating pulley, Limited - capacity. To throw light". Basically, in my interpretation, inferring in those early days to a half bail ultra-lite.

I contacted Sergio, at Ben’s urging, and asked if he had any photos of the inner mechanical workings of the reel so that I could determine whether or not my reel was complete. A friend of Sergio’s, Luigi Colombo, graciously disassembled his Minerva, photographed it and Sergio sent me the pictures. The reel has a number stamped on both sides of the body frame and on the back of both side plates. Luigi’s reel is # 94. Thanks to Sergio and Luigi I was able to confirm that my Minerva, which is # 51, is indeed complete. Sergio also informed me that the Minerva is extremely rare and that only 2 or 3 models are known to exist in all of Italy. I think the Minerva at the bottom of this page (2), which has a burgundy spool and drag knob, may be the only other one known to exist other than mine and the two shown in Sergio’s article: https://www.mulinelliantichi.it/galleria ... tri%20rari

Below are a few photos taken throughout my process. Unfortunately I didn’t take any photos of the reel before I started disassembly. I did, though, take a couple during that process so I could remember how to put it back together again.

Here are the three photos I took while taking the reel apart. The tube is retained by a through pin at the back of the body but it is completely hidden by grease. You can see in the 3rd picture that the tube is broken at the front of the slide slot.

These are some of the tools I used to make the main shaft oscillation tube. The ¼" SS tube, solid brass insert to strengthen the pinned end of the tube, a couple of chainsaw files to ream the inside of the tube to fit the main shaft, fine flat file, 5/64" bit for the 3/32" through pin hole and mini plumber's hack saw. Not pictured are a bench grinder, drill, mini torch for brazing the tube to the trip arm and an extra fine mini file.

Here are what's left of the SS tube & SS fender washer and most of the parts all cleaned up and ready to reassemble. You can see the #51 on the body and back of both side plates in the 2nd picture.

Here are a few pictures taken during assembly. I opted to add 2 thin Mylar washers that were not included originally. I added one between the body and rotor cup to help prevent dirt from entering the rotor cup/pinion gear bushing. I added the other one between the bail trip cross bar and a felt washer inside the rotor cup to help eliminate some dirt from getting into the felt. Originally the felt washer was the only thing between the rotor cup and bail trip cross bar.

Here are a couple of different angles of the reel complete and ready for display, but it could actually be fished. It looks great and works perfectly!

Sometimes a guy's just plain gotta do what a guy's gotta do, even though they're no longer factory unadulterated!

Tom
Last edited by Midway Tommy D on Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Re: Minerva - Extremely Rare & Seldom Seen

Post by Brian F. »

Nice job, Tom, and an interesting reel. Thanks for bringing us along for the ride!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Nice save, Tommy!
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

Cool! I can hear it saying "Thank you for fixing me. Please, take me out fishing again!"

BTW what did you use to attach the trip arm to the SS tube?
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Please, take me out fishing again!
Not by me! Even though it's as good as new it'll just sit in the cabinet behind glass! :D
what did you use to attach the trip arm to the SS tube?
Brass. My neighbor is a welding supervisor for Chief Transportation Products. They make rail car products. He's got every welding apparatus known to man, I think, at home in his shop. Lucky for me because I can't weld or braze for crap and a piddly project like that would have been tough to find someone that would have had the patience and precision to get it perfect. :bow:

Tom
jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Post by jimbofish »

Midway Tommy D wrote:
Please, take me out fishing again!
Not by me! Even though it's as good as new it'll just sit in the cabinet behind glass! :D

Awww... I couldn't resist at least transferring some old line to it and taking it to the nearest water and making a few casts with it. Not to use it regularly, but just to be able to say I fished with a reel that few people ever used.
what did you use to attach the trip arm to the SS tube?
Brass. My neighbor is a welding supervisor for Chief Transportation Products. They make rail car products. He's got every welding apparatus known to man, I think, at home in his shop. Lucky for me because I can't weld or braze for crap and a piddly project like that would have been tough to find someone that would have had the patience and precision to get it perfect. :bow:

That would be beyond my ability too.

Tom
ANTIPES Italy reel
Frequent Board Poster

Post by ANTIPES Italy reel »

Hi Tom,
I have just read your article !!

Best regards from the Italy.
Sergio Di Marco
Secretary ANTIPES
Ben
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Ben »

Hey Tom,
This sure would make a great article for the reel new ???
Ben
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

Nice. Tommy!
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Thanks Jon and Ben!

Ben,
I'll give that some thought. Not many people have ever even heard of the Minerva let alone seen a photo of one. That's a good idea! I'll have to hone my writing skills some if I decide to take that step. :type:

Tom
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Tommy- I live near Minerva, OH, and assume the reel was named after that town-- much like nearby Akron in Summit County (Pflueger reels).
Chuck Gano
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Chuck Gano »

very nice tommy and a heck of a repair job,i would have just cleaned it up and stuck it in the case, i usually make things worse when i take on a job like that
cg
eppy55
Big ORCA Fan

Post by eppy55 »

Very nice work Tom,....Ok, ...what I will do is box up my ambidex, my altex, my imperial and a couple more and get you to do what you did with your Minerva. ( just kidding) You do real fine work Sir! I wish I had a 1/4 of your talent.
Your friend Trevor Calhoun.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Thanks guys!
I wish I had a 1/4 of your talent.
It actually involves more patience than talent, though. :wink: As the old saying goes, "Haste Makes Waste". Those types of projects can be pretty tedious work. Especially when don't have the equipment and you're not a machinist.