Never leave an antique store without asking

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
Wayne B.
Super Board Poster

Never leave an antique store without asking

Post by Wayne B. »

While vacationing in Hilton Head a couple weeks ago, I checked out an antique store which looked like all furniture, interior decorating, etc. On our way out, I mentioned to the owner that I was interested in old reels and this shop obviously didn't deal in items like that. He reached around and opened a drawer and pulled out a box full of little treasures. I bought the whole lot and was happily on my way. The attached pics show just a sample of the box contents. Don't ever leave without asking!

Steve
Star Board Poster

Re: Never leave an antique store without asking

Post by Steve »

We and the antique dealers have come a long way. In the primeval days when I started collecting, dealers used to laugh me out of their shops when I asked about fishing tackle. :x (And no, it wasn't because my fly was open or I was wearing mismatched socks. :roll: )
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Re: Never leave an antique store without asking

Post by scottorock »

I used to go to yard sales with an old Pflueger Supreme in my pocket. If I didn't see anything displayed i'd show the reel to the seller and ask if he/she had anything like that laying around that they would want to get rid of. Sometimes it worked out but more often then not the sellers would respond "Oh, that stuff has value? I threw boxes of old reels and lures and junk last week!"