New Display for Old Collection

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

New Display for Old Collection

Post by m3040c »

I had some spare time, or at least I fool myself into thinking that time can actually be spare, so anyways,
I have made a new place for my old collection and I thought I would share it here among some other places.
So here is an attempt to share some Photobucket Pics here,

Here is where I started. The reels are jammed onto shelves that are too big and deep. A change was called for. So, I moved the collection to the other side of the room.

First is the corner where it begins, a behind the door spot that cannot be seen with the door open. Space is at a premium for me. The whole collection must be displayed on a 11 foot long wall.

Next is the shelving unit which will span the rest of the room wall about eight feet into the corner.

Then I managed to squeeze my Curio Cabinet between the window and the new unit.

And finally finished up with the new and compact desk that flows under the shelving unit.

Now the other side of the room is ready for more appropriate junk for the old shelves.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: New Display for Old Collection

Post by john elder »

Nice job, Mike! It's good that you have it all out where you can enjoy it...every day makes for a new "field find" as you rediscover early buys. I really need to do similar with mine. As Rick H. Pointed out, i'm turning into quite a hoarder so makes it hard to display everything.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Well done, Mike, that's a neat display! In case you haven't looked up lately, though, it appears you've got a little room on the ceiling for expansion. :wink:
Tightlines666
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Tightlines666 »

Great weekend project there with some great looking results!

Looks like you may have freed up a little space as well. I particularly like the vertical reel mount above the lightswitch. I wonder if a handle knob or grasp would mount on the switch toggle?

Looking at your collection never fails to inspire me.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Nice job, Mike! It's good that you have it all out where you can enjoy it...every day makes for a new "field find" as you rediscover early buys. I really need to do similar with mine. As Rick H. Pointed out, i'm turning into quite a hoarder so makes it hard to display everything.
I knew you would immediately understand why I did this. I was turning into a hoarder also and hopefully this relieves some of that. Being able to see and remember what I owned was a problem and now is not. Best holiday wishes to you and yours!
Well done, Mike, that's a neat display! In case you haven't looked up lately, though, it appears you've got a little room on the ceiling for expansion. :wink:
The ceiling did not occur to me; but, now that you mention it :idea:

All the best for the holidays to you and yours and all the ORCA members!
Last edited by m3040c on Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I particularly like the vertical reel mount above the lightswitch. I wonder if a handle knob or grasp would mount on the switch toggle?
Good eye John, not too many have noticed that display piece. That is a broomstick with a bunch of reel seats slid over it and placed in a couple of brackets. Here it is hanging horizontally mounted under the old shelves that used to be on that wall I used for the new shelving.

Not sure about mounting a reel knob on the toggle switch, I usually like to leave electrical stuff as the engineers designed it, saves me problems in the future :doh:

Wishing you and yours a great holiday season!
John Savu
Advanced Board Poster

Post by John Savu »

Great spot to relax and enjoy the collection. John
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Post by Mike N »

Excellent! It is great to have a work area surrounded by those little "machines" that catch fish that we all love so much. Nicely done.

Mike N
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Thanks and Happy New Year!
Mike Franzen
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Mike Franzen »

That looks really cool. I particularly like how you display your boxes. Happy New Year.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

That looks really cool. I particularly like how you display your boxes. Happy New Year.
Happy New Year to you too! :D
michaelscott
Frequent Board Poster

Post by michaelscott »

Very cool display!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Mike C! Hoping you are still high and dry there! Looks ugly on the news fer shur!
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Mike C! Hoping you are still high and dry there! Looks ugly on the news fer shur!
Thanks John. This was the worst snow storm I can remember. I spent from 8:30AM to 4:00PM today shoveling snow just to clear my driveway and cars. Up to 3 feet deep in spots; but, thankfully because of the wind direction, the full moon hide tides did not flood the town. I lost power for about an hour. This was a tough one; but, it could have been worse.
big hoss
Advanced Board Poster

Post by big hoss »

I don't visit that often so I have just come across your man cave - looks great you seem to have something of a Pennchant for display! How do you keep the reels from dust gathering without cabinet windows?
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I don't visit that often so I have just come across your man cave - looks great you seem to have something of a Pennchant for display! How do you keep the reels from dust gathering without cabinet windows?
I do enjoy displaying things. I worked in retail for awhile, so I have a bit of a feel for display work. Anyways, in terms of the dust, the cabinets are built with flat facings, so adding glass doors can be done in the future. Until then, the reels get dusty, that is not a problem for me. I do not worry about dust, I just feel like it is the way things are, old and dusty sort of go together. A bit like myself.
bettybarr
Advanced Board Poster

Post by bettybarr »

Wow Mike.
That took some planning. And very inviting. Do you hire yourself out?
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

That took some planning. And very inviting. Do you hire yourself out?
Thank you Betty. I no longer do side work. For many years I did Home Improvement work in the daytime and worked in aviation at JFK at night. I still work at the airport; but, there are simply not enough hours in my day to hold two jobs anymore.