Hardy Fortuna

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
john elder
Star Board Poster

Hardy Fortuna

Post by john elder »

I'm cleaning this reel up and still trying to figure out the proper order for the drag stack to make it work like it should. However, I thought some of you might like to see what the guts of this classic Hardy 7 inch reel look like. The reel is fished as an under-reel and at this size, would be hefty enough to bring in a pretty serious fish....albeit slowly! If anyone is looking that has knowledge of the proper drag order for this reel, I would like to hear from you!

NOTE:...for those interested, I just got the answer on the proper drag order for the reel on the fly rod board:
https://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/vie ... 28#p688528

this one was, indeed, installed wrong!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Hardy Fortuna

Post by john elder »

...and here is the wooden version that I made a couple years ago and donated to the Silent Auction at the San Diego ORCA convention. I believe it is now on the mantle at Ron Lewis's house:

somewhat simplified compared to the original, but it works!
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Nice job, as usual! I was going to pilfer the photos from the other board but, rather than do that, maybe you can add a shot of the correct stack order?
Paul M
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Paul M »

:cool
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Brian, I have the reel all zipped up again, so don't want to break down for another pic, but I'm sure John Mackenzie won't mind sharing his pics over here ( I will ask and remove if there's a problem):

John's comments:

"The fibre washer goes to the base of the spool shaft and then the spool is fitted onto the shaft. Then you place one thrust washer into the spool, then the bearing comes next with the second thrush washer on top. The compression plates go on last with the smaller diameter pressing down onto the thrust bearing. Screw on the capstan and the job is done. Note that some of these Fortuna units had a fibre washer between the capstan and the top of the pressure plates."

The metal washers were present, but stuck down to the pressure plate and a large brass washer that was not part of the drag stack on John's reel. It goes on the inside, on top of the red fiber washer, before the spool goes on.
RonG
Super Board Poster

Post by RonG »

Nice looking Reel John !
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Indeed, Ron! I wish it was mine. It belongs to member Dan Zirilli! Maybe i can arm wrestle him for it!
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

A quick follow up...a fellow added to the post on the fly rod board a schematic he found in a Hardys catalogue, which showed the same order for the drag components but 180 degrees relative to what's shown; ie, the bearing ring and washers on the star drag handle side and compression ring next to the spool. I flipped the order on this reel and although it works either way, i think its a bit smoother this way.
reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

John,
Please let me know when you finish the wooden Kovalovsky "Zane Grey" reels. I'll take a dozen.
Thanks for the interesting and informative post.
Ed
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Well, I think Ronel has that one too....but I just made the one and it was a measly 14/0 so not man enough for you, Ed! :D

reeltackle
Super Board Poster

Post by reeltackle »

WOW!!!
You are one talented fellow!!
Very cool John, thanks for sharing
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: