Early Edward vom Hofe Model No. 501 6/0 Reel

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
RonG
Super Board Poster

Early Edward vom Hofe Model No. 501 6/0 Reel

Post by RonG »

It never ceases to amaze me how many variations there are in Edward vom Hofe reels. The 6/0 pictured below has serial number A717 which puts it's manufacture in 1908 according to Bingham's book. I was surprised to see how many parts were used to make the reel. The reel has a metal plug where the anti-reverse plunger would normally go on the front plate. According to Bingham, the 501 and 511 evolved into the more common and simpler 621. I can understand why. This early 501 must have been expensive to build.

Jay White
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Early Edward vom Hofe Model No. 501 6/0 Reel

Post by Jay White »

Neat reel Ron. Always neat to see a new variation.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Re: Early Edward vom Hofe Model No. 501 6/0 Reel

Post by m3040c »

I am very impressed with this version. Never saw this build style of the anti-reverse function and drags controlled by a star wheel on this early a reel. This must be one of the earliest star drag models.

According to Ted's book, the star wheel control of the drags were not commonly used until about 1912, making this reel of yours a very uncommon build style for 1908.

Absolutely fantastic EVH! :shock: