Kentucky Line Dryer - JD Guthrie

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Kentucky Line Dryer - JD Guthrie

Post by kyreels »

I collect any fishing tackle made in Kentucky (Reels, Lures, Misc). I picked up this nice line dryer made in Shelbyville, Kentucky by James Dudley Guthrie. It was patented Dec 1, 1903. http://www.google.com/patents/US745825 It was part of the collection of Raymond Crowe, which was auctioned in Aug 2015 in Madison, IN, and purchased by Mike Hines. I obtained it from Mike in Pigeon Forge. Thanks to Doug Carpenter for providing the auction info.

I understand that a similar line dryer is part of the Meek Archives which were shown in Frankfort at the ORCA national, and now resides in Denver with the Meek family. If anyone has a photo of that, I would be interested in seeing it.

I love patents, and have found a lot of fishing tackle that way. It is interesting to me that this reel is pretty different than the patent in the manner of the rod fastener and the manner of assembly to the hub. This model seems much more improved in that regard, and it makes you wonder if there was an earlier model. The patent describes the dryer arms as screwing into the hub, whereas this example has a unique hub that is split in half with the arms laying in the hub compressed by the two halves and a thumb screw. Maybe the machinist that made them made this improvement. It is pretty slick.

I remember the line dryer display at the Louisville National NFLCC show around 2011 or 2013, and I don't recall this one being there. If anyone has any more info on this line dryer or other cool ones, please share.

Matt Wickham
Collector of Kentucky made fishing reels and lures
Mike N
Star Board Poster

Re: Kentucky Line Dryer - JD Guthrie

Post by Mike N »

Very interesting. Thank you for posting the photo and info.

Mike N
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Welcome, Matt! Great info and thanks for sharing. Betty is planning another get together in Frankfort and maybe you might like to join them there.
Jim Schottenham
Super Board Poster

Post by Jim Schottenham »

Hi Matt,

It's been a long time!

Another Guthrie sold last year, during Lang's spring sale. It didn't have a box, but looked to be the same as the one you have:

Hope to see you this year at the National!

Jim
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Thanks Jim and Brian and Mike. Looking forward to attending the ORCA National or NFLCC National, but probably not both. What horrible choices we have to make. I could probably tell you which child I would sacrifice in a hostage situation, but I have trouble choosing the best fishing tackle.