Pflueger Kentucky photos

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

Pflueger Kentucky photos

Post by David Lehmann »

Pflueger Kentucky
Reel Addictive
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Pflueger Kentucky photos

Post by Reel Addictive »

David, that is a really nice reel. :)

This proves that I will never be able to tell the difference between Montague and Pflueger. :bash:

Welcome back,

William
kyreels
Super Board Poster

Post by kyreels »

Nice example. My first decent reel was a Buckeye, and I have been on a quest for a Kentucky ever since. I always thought that would be easier than it is. Someone should publish a list of how hard every reel is comparatively. I have seen that for Heddon lures. You can't always go by age.
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

WOW!
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Hey David- To show how scarce those are, I have been looking for one for 25 years. Even if one showed up now I couldn't afford it. Congrats on finding one of the "Phantom Five Pfluegers"!

Bob
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David Lehmann »

Bob,
That's actually the second that I have seen. The first I got outbid on. I have only run across one of the narrow spool 1573s. And that one came from the floor of an NFLCC show at the cost of a standard 1573! I am really looking for the first model Akron. Having been out of the loop for a while, I'm not up to date with Pflueger history. Has anyone identified exactly where the reel manufacturing occurred and whether or not there had been previous reel manufacturing at the facility or whether designs and equipment were purchased from another company? Also, is there any possibility that Pflueger was "jobbing" for retail stores, etc. before they started selling Pflueger reels? They sure seem to have hit the ground running if it really was a "start from nothing" business. If someone can point me to a good historical account of early Pflueger reel design and manufacturing history, that would be great. From looking at catalogs and comparing marked and unmarked reels, we can learn to identify the reels. But it would be great to know more about the who, why, and whens of the earliest reels.
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

Haha, David, your article done in 1997 is still right up there for ID of early Pflueger reels! If anyone has added information, it's that RAM guy, or "Bad Bob" as we know him here. For anyone interested in early Pflueger reel ID, see this article in the 1997 back issue: Early Pflueger Casting Reels, David Lehmann, Summer/97, p 1
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David Lehmann »

So, I'll throw this out to Bob, John Savu, any other person who is too damned curious about Pflueger reels (Craig?): Has anybody researched Akron city directories, courthouse deeds, or old records and contracts held by Shakespeare to try and unravel the manufacturing history of Pflueger? I notice the Pflueger website claims the first reels were manufactured in Akron in 1916. Is this a blunder or does it imply that they were manufactured elsewhere before then?
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

Dave-You might be amazed at how much has been written on Enterprise since you left . I wrote 60 articles in my Pflueger Pfacts Reel News column over ten years. Several other guys wrote other Pflueger articles (Late Stu Lawson several on Pflueger fly reels, and other authors e.g. Craig). I compiled two bibliographies on all these articles so there is an easy lookup for any Pflueger reel you can imagine re its history. All available from ORCA
Yes, Enterprise was big into the " trade reel" business prior to 1916 and later to a lesser extent. Seminar a few years back at the ORCA meet in Gatlinburg on this subject.
The SUPER Pflueger reel historian is Todd Larson. You really need to meet Todd!
LOTS of catching up to do here on Pfluegers Dave!
Roger Schulz
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Roger Schulz »

Dave

You might want to attend our June Convention in Tennessee. Craig Barber is giving a seminar on E.A. Pflueger. Craig continues to do research on Pflueger reels and has a number of articles awaiting completion. He still has an outstanding collection of Pflueger reels and Pflueger metal baits.

Also, you are lucky. All the back issues you missed are at 30 percent off if purchased as multi-year issues. Postage is free.

Roger Schulz
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David Lehmann »

Looks like I know where a junk of my tax refund is going! :bricks: :jump:
Steve
Star Board Poster

Post by Steve »

...my tax refund...
Dave, this may help you spend it wisely.
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

What is a tax refund?...I always seem to get a bill
Doug Carpenter
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Doug Carpenter »

Is it possible that this "Kentucky" reel was made by Malleson?
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Did you check the back side of the drive gear for the two marks?
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David Lehmann »

Don,
What am I looking for? BTW, this is a handmade reel. All the parts are scribed or stamped "23".
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David Lehmann »

Here are photos of the gear and interior
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Eek..that gear does not pass the Champion Pfleuger test!
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18664&hilit=Witness+mark
David Lehmann
Advanced Board Poster

Post by David Lehmann »

I have to admit that I have not seen hand-scribed and stamped benchmarks on Pflueger or Monty reels. However, end caps are the same size as early Pflueger and other parts seem to match also. The resemblance of reel details to the catalog cut of the Pflueger Kentucky are uncanny. I have a few other very early (pre 1910), high quality marked Pfluegers. I will disassemble them and look for slotted gears and benchmarks. Mystery continues.
Dave Erickson
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Dave Erickson »

Dave,

I have a reel that is almost exactly like yours, but mine is named "The Minnesota." Rather than a yardage number under the foot, mine is marked "3 1/2". What is your reel marked under the foot? The main gear is not slotted on my reel either. I will try to get pictures up in a couple days.

Dave Erickson
Dave Erickson
Frequent Board Poster

Post by Dave Erickson »

Here is my Pflueger "The Minnesota", very similar to David's "Kentucky."

Dave Erickson
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Dave,
Your reel is a four screw Montague.
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

I won't say Dave's reel is a Montague. Here are some photos of a Kentucky No. 3 made by Montague. The early or old style Montague 4 screw reel was made from 1900 until 1913. They didn't put jeweled oil caps in all of them until about 1907.
You will note some minor differences between my reel & Dave's. My reel is scribed 10 inside.
Don Champion
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Don Champion »

Here is a Kentucky No. 1, the 1 being stamped under the foot. This is also an early Montague of the style they made from 1900 until 1907. Both reels are German silver. at this point in time both reels have not been cleaned.
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

I finally found a marked Pflueger Kentucky yesterday. This seems like the best place to post these. Notice that the bottom of the foot is unmarked. This is a 60 yard reel based on its measurements.