Heddon Pal No. 41

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
wadefish
Big ORCA Fan

Heddon Pal No. 41

Post by wadefish »

Here is a Heddon Pal No. 41 I inherited from an old neighbor recently.

I know a lot about more modern tackle, but not so much about vintage.

And I've caught plenty of bass on Heddon tiny torpedoes, but didn't know (or maybe had forgotten) that they once made reels and rods.

This example is pretty pristine. I'm guessing it was never actually fished. I haven't opened it up, but the drag, clicker and spool tension caps all seem in good working order.

I also inherited a Heddon Pal fiberglass rod. Wouldn't it be fun to mount the reel on the rod, tie on a tiny torpedo, and head out to the pond :D ?

I've read a bit about the Heddon Pals online, and the no. 41. Any way to date this particular unit, does anyone know? The earliest ones from 1947 were apparently all aluminum. This example is dark, looks black, but apparently was released as maroon. Does that sound right?

Anyway, here are some pics...

Reel Addictive
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Heddon Pal No. 41

Post by Reel Addictive »

Hello and welcome.

There are several great websites maintained by ORCA that you should check out.

If you look at the Bronson page you will see some great info on this family of Pal reels:

http://www.bronsonreelphotos.com/bronso ... -info.html

There are also pages on Ocean City reels and a massive website dedicated to just about every other reel maker or distributor known.

Enjoy

William
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Hi, wadefish, welcome to the forum!!!!

If you type Heddon Pal or P-41 into the search feature at the top right corner of the page you'll find more discussion and information than you ever thought imaginable.

The search feature is a great place to start no matter what type of information you're seeking or researching.
Last edited by Midway Tommy D on Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
wrong99
Star Board Poster

Post by wrong99 »

1949 to 1959.
Mark
wadefish
Big ORCA Fan

Post by wadefish »

Thanks, everyone.

Meanwhile, I took a closer look at the Heddon rod I also inherited. It's pretty amazing. It's a Heddon Pal Glass, 6'. Basically new, in the original Heddon rod sack. The rod is one piece, that screws into the handle. 4 guides and a tip (low guide count, relative to modern standards). Too dark for photos right now, but I'll take some soon.

The guide wraps are in such good shape, I'm wondering if someone re-wrapped the rod at some point.