My Summit Story

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
escharfie
Advanced Board Poster

My Summit Story

Post by escharfie »

When I was a young boy of about 10 or 11, my father would take me fishing in farm ponds in southwest Pennsylvania and in the Allegheny River. At first, the fishing reel I used belonged to him. It was a Pflueger Summit. I had no reel of my own. I remember the reel well, with all the fancy engraving. I practiced with it regularly in our back yard with a wooden bobber, trying to master it’s operation. I had my share of tangled black line.

I took it apart once in our basement workshop and had a difficult time getting it back together. The reel never was the same after that. So, in that way, the reel became mine. I kept it for many years. It came with me when I moved to West Virginia.

One day, years later, when I had become better skilled in delicate mechanics, and after my father had passed away, I decided that I would fix that Pflueger Summit reel that I had broken. I searched and searched and couldn’t find it. I was heart broken. It was dad’s reel.

Then, years after that I found out about Ebay. I wondered if by chance, I could find a Summit Reel and replace the one that I lost. I searched and actually found one ! I purchased it and when it arrived, I was again amazed at the beauty of the reel. Every detail was just as I remembered.

I enjoyed the reel so much that I searched for and purchased other reels that I remembered as a boy. Little did I know it then, but I had become a reel collector!

Now I have several Pflueger Summit reels and I have learned a lot about them. I can actually disassemble one and put it back together properly ! I’m 68 now and the Pflueger Summit will always be dear to my heart.

john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: My Summit Story

Post by john elder »

Ah, one of my first loves in reel collecting. I used to have a dozen variations and still have three or four of the oldest ones. After finding out how many Bill Sonnett has, I sorta lost interest in volume and just saved my favorites . I can't say they were Pflueger's finest hour re user friendliness, but I don't think they ever made one better looking or higher quality! Thanks for the story! :D
scottorock
Super Board Poster

Post by scottorock »

Thanks for sharing! Sorry to hear about not being able to find your Dad's reel....I know that feeling...
Brian F.
Star Board Poster

Post by Brian F. »

I think we all have similar stories or ones we can relate to like yours. This would make a great story for the Reel News. I would encourage that you really consider submitting it to Reel News Editor, Richard Lodge, for printing!
Robin Sayler
Super Board Poster

Post by Robin Sayler »

Great Story! Thank you for sharing it.
Teal
Ultra Board Poster

Post by Teal »

Lovely story indeed, please submit this to Richard. We need more stories like this.
RAM
Ultra Board Poster

Post by RAM »

That design was one of only three Enterprise ever patented. Patent No. Des. 73047 was issued to Charles T. Pflueger July 12, 1927. The design changed in subtle ways a few times over the years but never radically. Surely one of my favorite Pfluegers. Your letter would be a fine addition to the Reel News. Please send to Richard!

Bad Bob
escharfie
Advanced Board Poster

Post by escharfie »

Bob,
Much of what I learned about the Summit was from your book. Thank You !
ED
Jonathan P. Kring
Super Board Poster

Post by Jonathan P. Kring »

I started with reels and as a secondary collection now like books on fishing, particularly autographed ones and most particularly ones written by ORCA members. Robert Miller, Dr. Todd,Mike C, Phil White, Ben Wright,Bill Sonnett, Jim Madden, Ed Pritchard,Norm Pinardi,Colby Sorrells,Tim Obrien, Stu Lawson(No Signature) , Pascal Grillott to name a few. So much knowledge!!