12/0 Fin-Nor Machine Industries reel in a Nep-Tuna cradle with 130 lb rod

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

12/0 Fin-Nor Machine Industries reel in a Nep-Tuna cradle with 130 lb rod

Post by 54bullseye »

Here is a combo I just purchased. Seems like an odd mix a 12/0 Fin-Nor Machine Industries reel 1945 to mid 1947 made that was very neatly mounted in a newer "not sure of Nep-Tuna production dates" Nep-Tuna cradle with a real nice Nep-Tuna 130 lb all Mildrum roller guide rod. The cradle has no extra holes so I would think this is the only reel it has seen. I had never seen a Nep-Tuna made rod this big before I have three other Nep-Tuna rods on smaller cradles but was surprised to see one this heavy duty "the rod is pretty stout" and with all roller guides. Please anybody that has or has seen other rods this big by Nep-Tuna let me know I have a lot of interest in any Nep-Tuna products !! There is a name on the rod "Jules Berman" does that ring a bell to any one ? We googled it and came up with an author but not sure if he was the owner.

The reel is in nice shape I took it partially apart to clean it up and grease all screws and was surprised to find almost every part was serialized to the reel #246. So I guess all parts were hand fitted to that reel. There are some plastic labels indicating drag pressures that are pretty ugly but I left them in place for time being. I would say the rod and reel saw some use but were well cared for.

Well that's all I know about it. Please if any one knows more let me know and also any information on dates of Nep-Tuna production would be great !! John Taylor

Last edited by 54bullseye on Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midway Tommy D
Star Board Poster

Re: 12/0 Fin-Nor Machine Industries reel in a Nep-Tuna cradle with 130 lb rod

Post by Midway Tommy D »

Those red labels are obviously an add-on from one of those old rotex/dymo label makers. Served their purpose, though, and at least they're not etched into the rim. :cool
Neat combo!
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Amazing find John. Only Fin-Nor 12/0 I have ever seen mounted into a Neptuna cradle. The rod is also a Fin-Nor piece.
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Just a beautiful beautiful outfit! Everything in the collection is pre 1939 with the surf reels pre 1920 but that is 1 sweet outfit! Wish l had the space l once had. May be after l hit the Mega! Tight Lines Nick in NY
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Hey John forget to note, only thing missing is a second handle. Love the burgundy wrappings. Again nice piece! Nick in NY
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

I know this combo or at least the cradle and rod aren't as old as some of the beautiful stuff many of you collect but I think it's neat. I really like all the different cradle reels/rods and for some reason I am very interested in the Nep-Tuna stuff probably because I can't seem to find much info on it ! I guess that's part of the fun in collecting and also part of the reason I posted the pictures of this rig I was hoping some one out there would jump in with some new Nep-Tuna information maybe some one from the Los Angeles Ca. area where it would be more likely to show up. John Elder did make a post about a Nep-Tuna add from 1957 showing there rod belt so they were a company in the 1950s but when were there earliest cradles made ?? Any way thanks for the comments !!! John Taylor
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

Don't know how i missed this post...oh, yeah...i was in the bowels of Maine, fishing! At any rate, beautiful combo, John! ...and its old enough!

Nick, you made the comment about a second handle...would this one accomodate the second handle, declared illegal? If so, what all was needed on the back plate side to make that work?
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Nick, you made the comment about a second handle...would this one accomodate the second handle, declared illegal? If so, what all was needed on the back plate side to make that work?
John and Nick,

I am not a Fin-Nor expert; but, I do believe the Double Handle Fin-Nor is the 15/0. John Taylor's reel is a 12/0.

This is a larger reel than the 12/0

And heavy too!................... :D Need two hands to hold her up!

The 15/0 was not really illegal, what the IGFA did was to discredit the double handle reels in terms of being able to declare any world record catches with it. They deemed the reel as giving the fisherman and unfair advantage over someone using a single handle reel. At least that is the hearsay history I was told about it.
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Mike
I think you should sell me that double handle and let me see if I can adapt it to one of my cradles if I can't I will just keep it as it is !!!! Beautiful reel ! John Taylor
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

Mike
I think you should sell me that double handle and let me see if I can adapt it to one of my cradles if I can't I will just keep it as it is !!!! Beautiful reel ! John Taylor
I would if I could; but, I can't.......................<:O( That reel is long gone and lives in Everglade City, Florida.
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

What was approximate date that was made ?
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

What was approximate date that was made ?

John,

It is the First Fin-Nor reel. The reel pictured is a late 1930's (1936 or later) reel with a price tag in those days of $500. Equivalent in todays dollars to about $7000.
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

I think I want one !!!! LOL !!
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I think I want one !!!! LOL !!

Ha, of course you want one. It is a museum piece, everyone wants one of these. They are rare and historically, extremely significant. The one I am holding I shipped for a friend and was lucky enough to examine and photo it before it went to Florida. These double handle Fin-Nor 15/0's are part of fishing folklore. They were made for a long time into more modern versions of the 15/0. The one in my picture is a late 1930's first version. I cannot even speculate the value.
Last edited by m3040c on Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

John, if you want to see a more modern double handle 15/0, take a look at the reel on the top shelf of this shelving unit on Brian Purrone's website:

http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/other-reels.html

It is even a two speed double handle model 15/0. Scroll way down to the lower portion of Brian's page and see more of the 15/0.
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

Yeah Mike I had seen Brian's before it's a beautiful reel also !!! I like they "Grab Handle" or what ever you call it on the older model. Love the look of the wood handle and the gold anodized finish on the reel it's real nice. Maybe some day I will find one !!!! John
m3040c
Ultra Board Poster

Post by m3040c »

I like they "Grab Handle" or what ever you call it on the older model.
Ocean City calls that handle a "Fighting Handle". I knew a modern maker that calls it an "Assist Handle". Fin-Nor called it a "Pull Handle" and on the 1930's reels made the handle knob and pull handle from Lignum Vitae Wood, which is a fascinating old wood that is protected today:

Here is bit about the old wood materials that Fin-Nor used in the 1930's;

""In the world of wood, Lignum Vitae is the stuff of legends. Among commercially available hardwoods, it is widely regarded as the heaviest and hardest wood in the world. It’s unique olive green color, delicate feathered grain pattern, and other-worldly rot resistance only serves to add to its aura. Unfortunately, Genuine Lignum Vitae (Guaiacum officinale, G. sanctum) has, like so many other exotic hardwoods, been over-harvested: so much so, that in 2003 it was added to the Convention on International Trade of Endangered Species (CITES) Appendix II, which restricts the wood from traveling or being traded across international borders.""

Interesting stuff!!! :)
Boatgal
Big ORCA Fan

Post by Boatgal »

I have a collection of 7 Nep-tuna cradles with Fin Nor reels that im thinking about selling.(Not cheap)
70 years old and prestine condition. Largest is 80#
54bullseye
Super Board Poster

Post by 54bullseye »

I sent you a pm please get back to me. John