12/0 A. J. Stead

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
BAP-62
Advanced Board Poster

12/0 A. J. Stead

Post by BAP-62 »

This is one you don't see very much, 12/0 Stead. It has a clicker on the tail plate and a push button brake on the head plate rim.

john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: 12/0 A. J. Stead

Post by john elder »

:bow:...I assume you are keeping that one, Brian?
Jay White
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jay White »

Great Reel!
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Nice Brian! Don't let that l go! I assume the break is for slowing the spool.speed when free spooling? Tight Lines Nick in NY
BAP-62
Advanced Board Poster

Post by BAP-62 »

The brake locks everything up.
For a while, John.
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

I have never figured out why Stead put that button on there. As Brian indicates, it locks everything up. I suppose you could hold that button and try to turn a running fish, but seems that would risk popping the line...and if the drag wasn't able to control the run, you'd be on your way to getting spooled anyway, it would seem.

Also, being on the face plate side, it would be pretty obnoxious to try and use that button while also manning the crank.

?????
Jay White
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Jay White »

I'm with you John. I see no reason to have the "lock" button what so ever. I have a 12/0 with the lock button and one without. I have wondered ever since I got the one with the lock what the purpose was???? Still looking for Holzman and Deally reels!!
Nick in NY
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Nick in NY »

Everyone's got this reel? Wish l never parted with my 12-0, 2 9-0 or 6-0..... Hey I've a 1 of a kind large 9-0 or small 10-0 made of ALUMINUM.... Only one I personally know or have heard of. Was offered a lot of $ some time ago but it's not for sale. It'll be a trade only of a 12-0 Stead in nice condition. Email for photos. Spool width's 3 3/8 win a side plate of 5 5/16! Overall conditions at least very good but will definitely clean up. Please email me for photos.
Dan Z
Advanced Board Poster

Post by Dan Z »

i love that reel! nice. I'm always looking for Steads, i have a 9/0 and a 4/0, looking for more sizes. thanks fro sharing !
john elder
Star Board Poster

Post by john elder »

John B figured that butto out. I believd it goes that when pushed in, it puts a click on outgoing line. When you start to crank, it pops back out. Clearly, i didn't try hard enough!
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures