Shakespeare Wondercast 1774

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Shakespeare Wondercast 1774

Post by spadej1 »

I recently picked up a Shakespeare Wondercast for a song. The cone is a bit beat up, so I decided I'd keep it and fish it. In cleaning it up, I realized the body and internals were quite clean and have read that these reels are smooth and fun to use. I took it out this past weekend, and caught this monster! It may not be worth more than a few bucks, but I gotta say that I like this little reel a lot.

jimbofish
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Shakespeare Wondercast 1774

Post by jimbofish »

That was my very first "good" reel. My dad bought one for himself and one for me. I still use it occasionally with the W&M Green Hornet rod it's always been used on.
That reel is the same basic design that Shakespeare used for many years on several models. It holds up well.
Maybe it's the picture, but I think the push-button on yours may not be original. It should be green and the end should curve down matching the body curve. Be careful when you take the front cone off. The threads are very fine and shallow and easily cross-threaded when re-assembling.
spadej1
Advanced Board Poster

Re: Shakespeare Wondercast 1774

Post by spadej1 »

Thanks for the info. I noticed the cone needed some extra care when I was cleaning it up. I also had my suspicions about the push button. It doesn't quite look right and it sits a bit high. All well, I can't complain as I picked it up at a yard sale for next to nothing and it works really well.