Scientific Anglers System 11 by Hardy

Use this forum to share your stuff so round up your favorite reels! Questions can still go to the Reel Talk - General Forum
cushman
Big ORCA Fan

Scientific Anglers System 11 by Hardy

Post by cushman »

I recently acquired what looks to be an unfished SA Hardy System 11 and thought I'd share pictures:

Intended for fishing, but it's so nice I'm just enjoying looking at it and handling it!

Dave
john elder
Star Board Poster

Re: Scientific Anglers System 11 by Hardy

Post by john elder »

Beautiful find! These are interchangeable for spools with Hardy Marquis. Yours is a version in which they used a plastic "spring" and other internals. They also made them with metal components. I was under the impression that they switch to metal due to concerns about broken springs, but i have never seen one broken.
ORCA member since 1999
Honorary Life Member

Specializing in saltwater reels...and fly reels...and oh, yeah, kentucky style reels.....and those tiny little RP reels.....oh, heck...i collect fishing reels!...and fly rods....and lures
cushman
Big ORCA Fan

Re: Scientific Anglers System 11 by Hardy

Post by cushman »

Thank you, John. I had read that the spools are interchangeable with Hardy, and even with modern/recent Marquis spools. There is a good video of this up on the Fly Shop in Welches, Oregon website where the Hardy rep, Garry Sandstrom, demonstrates this. I'm now curious and want to mess with it as this is my first Marquis type reel. I'm planning to fish this one. By the way, once I stripped the old line off, it's definitely not "mint" but looks like it was really lined and not fished.